Cheap LA Accomodation for an AFI entrant

Morgan Peline

Hi,

I've just been accepted into AFI for Fall- the school is in the hollywood hills a apparently.

I was wondering if anyone might know which are the good areas to live in where I can get reasonable accomodation for 1 that is fairly close to the school. I would also consider living with a roomate.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Morgan

Hi,

Jayson - After our chat I was pretty impressed so I figured I'd better get organised and cover all bases as time is moving on - I might be coming to LA next month for a recce - I'll drop you a line - Cheers.

Crash - If you PM me your address I'd be more than happy to send you my reel...though I only have PAL copies at the moment and I have to say that there aren't too many Rembrandt's in it...well, not yet anyway!

Brad - Thanks, I'll check it out.

Morgan

Morgan , I got your tape today , and got it transfered to NTSC.

I really liked your stuff..

Thank you for your help .

Now , my aim is to shoot as nice as you do ..

and even better :) (hopefully)

-crash

ps: hope to see you in about a year.

Morgan,

Hi, I am going to AFI this Fall too. I am looking for a place to stay as well. Did you have any luck yet...I am with so much work here finishing University, closing shoots and etc that any advice would be great. Would be great to get in touch with a future fellow.

Best Regards.

Miguel

Crash,

Sure but right now I am editing a new demo reel with some material I didnt include in the last one becasue I was filming. But If you can I have a demo reel on the web, I think is the same one I sent to AFI. BUt anyway is the same footage.

www.uniweb.cl/miguel.teitelboim/

The compression is terrible so when I finish the demo reel I send you one. Right now I am with tons of work.

Hope it helps and let me know if you need anything else.

Miguel

Crash:

I am 25, Well I first got involved in 3D animation and 2D compositing then discoverd cinematography and got fascinated and in love with it. I started learning cinematography about 3 years ago shooting all I could, most of all shortfilms and worked in a couple of feature films (Film industry in Chile is really small)as production assistant and first director asistant in a TV series and some comercials as production assistant and if I couldnt get involved in some production I just went and watch and carried cables so I could see the other cinematogarphers work. But give me your email and I can email my CV If it is of any help...anything I can help let me know I will be more than glad.

Morgan,

Thanks!

In my demo reel 60% is DV and 40% is 16mm and s16mm, aprox. In DV I used XL1 and PD-150, Depending on the cinematography the director and I wanted I used diferent tools. For example one really low, really low budget short film all we had was the PD-150 and 4 lights of 500W and about 50 dollars and 1 day shoot. I knew I couldnt get the contrast I needed with the lights I had so I concentrated in getting enough information between shadows, midtones and highlights and color separation and then color graded it with Combustion. Well thats one case. In film 2 short films are 16mm using a 16BL Arri and one in SR3. My latest short film was shot in 16BL again but I am including it now in my demo reel.

Glad you liked it!

Miguel

Jayson,

Looking foward to meeting you too.

Best Regards.

Miguel

Hi guys,

I'm also looking for a place in LA so if anybody can help me I'd appreciate it. I just started taking the Arriflex certification for camera assisitant in LA and I still live in Fresno, I want to find a place as soon as possible.

Thanks

Hong

Hi!

Sorry if I'm late to this thread. I too am starting at AFI this fall. I currently live in Hollywood about 1.5-2 miles west of campus which is a steadily improving area by the Chinese/Kodak theaters. When I first moved here I lived in Glendale and very much enjoyed it around there as well (Good bang for the buck). Both places I found through Westside Rentals. A lot of people have had luck just driving around neighborhoods looking for "For Rent" signs as well.

Miguel, your reel looks amazing. I'm stoked to say the least. The quality of work I've seen from a few of the incoming students has been exceptional, and the people I've met have been most friendly and eager to collaborate.

Best of luck, and I look forward to meeting you all!

-Rob Kraetsch

• Premium Member

Rob~

Congrats on being accepted and welcome!

I'm living in Glendale right now; actually, right now I'm on a feature out of town and my lease runs up in about two weeks before my next feature, but still, Glendale is a really nice area to live................

Given that you'll spend your entire year practically living at AFI, I'd suggest some place as close as possible.

Again, anxious and excited to meet all of you.

Jayson