Questions about shooting 16fps

bearcub

I suppose this is something I could do in post but I would rather do it in camera.

I'm shooting a few scenes on 7217 Vision2 200T and I want to shoot 16 fps for that silent film look. I'm shooting on either an Eclair NPR or Arri BL. Can you guys help me with figuring out my light reading and adjustments I must make.

Edited by bearcub

Slightly OT, it seems the silents were intended to be shown a bit fast. I recall reading a technical standard from the early 1920's specifying a shooting rate of about 66' per minute (for 35mm) and a projection speed somewhat higher, about 72 IIRC. That equates to shooting at about 17-18fps and projecting at 19-20. I can't remember the reference bit I'm sure I'm not inventing it

Here's something. http://www.cinemaweb.com/silentfilm/bookshelf/18_car_1.htm

What I'm shooting isn't silent film era content, but I do want that style. I'm not interested in old, aged or scratchy as an aesthetic, as I'm sure those films didn't look as old then as they do now.

I want to gradual introduce sound and color into my film like the beginning of And the Ship Sails On by Fellini.