Brand New HVX Music Vid!!!

Guest Relentless Filmaker

• 3 weeks later...

I dont mean to be harsh, And let me make it known I am not one for typical music videos.

Putting aside all dislike for the music and the artist. I thought that the concept of the video was very cliche and the way in which the video was done was very typical of any music video. Having chase seens in music videos alone I feel is very overdone, I cant count the number of tiems ive seen people running away or after things in music videos. I think the concept of someone chasing themselves is even worse....that theme has been played on so many times, people seeing themselves or w/e its just been done alot. The video doesnt really even go as far as to show why hes chasing himself and the ending I dont feel shows anything, why is he looking at himself on a tv? maybe all of this has roots in the song but I couldnt understand it. I also felt the way in which it was cut back and forth between the running and the band playing is boring, I think every music video ive seen on mtv in the last five years has been done this way and I really dont like it. I generally dont even like showing a band performing in music videos.

As far as the camera work, I felt it was solid, there were some good shots in there, I didnt feel any of it was ground breaking but it looked good. The only thing i didnt like like was the look of it, i think high contrast can be cool but when your shooting digital I think the first concern should be latitude then do contrast in post. all of the blown out skies and blown highlights I didnt like.

Edited by Jake Zalutsky

very nice

tell me please ist shot in the hd format did you did any color corection or ather effect

how dos it look on big tv

did you use any fill or shot it as is (whant to know the latitued

I thought the video was just OK! Nothing new, nothing stood out, aesthetics were

somewhat poor, but the video was done pretty well.

I guess I'm still not impressed with even the HVX, video is video!!

They're still a long ways from video looking like film.

I'll stick to my 16mm cameras for now!

Decent work though! :)

Saw it again and liked it even more.

From a commercial stand point it totally works and I bet the group likes it very much.

I like the song now also.

Don't listen to the haters. It's a music video made to promote a song and it does the job perfectly.

I think I'll buy the HVX instead of the JVC based on this video!

• Premium Member

Looks great! Very professional. HVX is pretty amazing for a sub $10k.

Isn't it funny how STUDENTS are always the most critical of peoples work? All the theories and idealism really inflate peoples opinions. I love the way the real, working world beats down pretension (mostly).

Nice work!

Cheers!

very nice

tell me please ist shot in the hd format did you did any color corection or ather effect

how dos it look on big tv

did you use any fill or shot it as is (whant to know the latitued

We shot the whole video in 720, it looks good on a big screen, we did some minor color correction, but nothing huge. I appreciate all the feedback from everybody, thank you all for taking the time to view our work.

Brian

Saw it again and liked it even more.

From a commercial stand point it totally works and I bet the group likes it very much.

I like the song now also.

Don't listen to the haters. It's a music video made to promote a song and it does the job perfectly.

I think I'll buy the HVX instead of the JVC based on this video!

Its a very good camera, of course its not film, but it looks really good. Plus the workflow is amazing, those p2 cards save so much time its ridculous.

Its a very good camera, of course its not film, but it looks really good. Plus the workflow is amazing, those p2 cards save so much time its ridculous.

I'd love for you to respond to these questions if you get a second:

1-Where did you buy the camera and at what price?

2-Did you see better deals elsewhere since buying it?

3-How many minutes do you actually get on a P2 card at 24p 1080 (4 or 8 gig?)

4-Whee you downloading as you where shooting? Looks like a pretty long shoot.

Thanks a bunch.

I'm trying to narrow it down as to where to buy.

Alex

I'd love for you to respond to these questions if you get a second:

1-Where did you buy the camera and at what price?

2-Did you see better deals elsewhere since buying it?

3-How many minutes do you actually get on a P2 card at 24p 1080 (4 or 8 gig?)

4-Whee you downloading as you where shooting? Looks like a pretty long shoot.

Thanks a bunch.

I'm trying to narrow it down as to where to buy.

Alex

1. We rented it for 350.00 for the weekend from evsonline.com

2. They have really good deals if you call there talk to Randy they have good prices to buy

3. We never shot it 1080 because you can do the slow mo in 1080 so we shot in 720 I belive we got 20 minutes on the 8 gig card

4. We had a laptop with us that we downloaded on as we shot, the card fits right in the slot on the side of the powerbook. The best part was NO LOG AND CAPTURE! it was already on the hard drive when we finished shooting.

Hope this helps

Brian

• Premium Member

Any possibility of putting a larger QT online? Overall it looks nice but it's hard to judge what the real SD version looks like from such a tiny window.

How much of the crushed blacks and clipped white were from color-correction, vs. from the camera? That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Were the shallow focus shots of running through the scaffolds just on the long end of the lens, or did you use a 35mm adapter for any of it?

Any possibility of putting a larger QT online? Overall it looks nice but it's hard to judge what the real SD version looks like from such a tiny window.

How much of the crushed blacks and clipped white were from color-correction, vs. from the camera? That's not a criticism, just an observation.

Were the shallow focus shots of running through the scaffolds just on the long end of the lens, or did you use a 35mm adapter for any of it?

Michael,

I'll check into a larger quicktime. I would say the color is 50/50 camera and post. It was all shot with a normal camera no adapters ect. We shot much of it on the end of the lens.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Great job, the video turned out very well. It's a nice edit too. The only thing i'd change is I think we have to see the vocalist's eyes at some point, otherwise we feel like we don't 'know' him -- it would have been sweet if he had taken off the glasses at some point, like threw them off before the chorus or something, i dunno. But that wasn't your decision anyway, so good job.

Out of curiosity, how much were you working with by way of setup? like flags, reflectors, etc?

Great job, the video turned out very well. It's a nice edit too. The only thing i'd change is I think we have to see the vocalist's eyes at some point, otherwise we feel like we don't 'know' him -- it would have been sweet if he had taken off the glasses at some point, like threw them off before the chorus or something, i dunno. But that wasn't your decision anyway, so good job.

Out of curiosity, how much were you working with by way of setup? like flags, reflectors, etc?

I didnt shoot this, my DP Jason Hafer shot it. I directed it. As far as setup we shot this all run and gun. We didnt use anything. We had a super bounce but I dont think we even used it for that, I think we used it for shade. lol. As far as the glasses, we wanted to establish the two seperate characters. So thats why he never took the glasses of.