5.7mm Kinoptik lens ???

Thibaut de Chemellier

Guest Ian Marks

Ah, the "El Mariachi" lens. I have one and think it's great. To my eye, it seems very well corrected for distortion (straight lines remain straight), sharp, and covers Super 16. Pretty remarkable for a lens designed so long ago. It's a big hunk of glass, as you know. Some take an internal 2 x 2 inch filter; some don't. Prone to flare (no surprise).

Sorry, I don't know how well it would intercut with the Zeiss primes.

• Premium Member
Ah, the "El Mariachi" lens. I have one and think it's great. To my eye, it seems very well corrected for distortion (straight lines remain straight), sharp, and covers Super 16. Pretty remarkable for a lens designed so long ago. It's a big hunk of glass, as you know. Some take an internal 2 x 2 inch filter; some don't. Prone to flare (no surprise).

Sorry, I don't know how well it would intercut with the Zeiss primes.

It is not as sharp as the Optar Illumina's. :(

Guest Ian Marks
El Mariachi was shot with the Angenieux 5.9mm (IMDB source) and there's no internal filters...only with the Kinoptik!

Sure optar or even Arri/Zeiss Ultra 16 extra wide 6mm is sharper for sure but for a few thousand euros/bucks, what do we got...

I'm not sure you can always count on IMDB for accurate technical information, but for all I know it was the Angie and not the Kinoptik. Someone told me years ago that it was the Kinoptik and I've just accepted it as true all this time.

I don't think the Angenieux covers Super 16, but I believe it can take a Series 9 filter via an adapter. The Kinoptik is bigger and has no thread for an external filter, so front filters are pretty much out.

Yeah, the Kinoptik is pretty much a bargain lens compared to Zeiss or Optar... mine was a tad over 300 bucks, versus thousands for the others.

• Premium Member

...Rodriguez calls it a Kinoptik 5.7mm on his DVD. The Angeniuex 5.9mm takes an internal filter. I can confirm this because I had one removed from mine.

Edit: I don't think the Ang 5.9 covers S16. I have not tried it. Looks great on16mm 4:3 though with very little noticable aberation. I now use series 9 filters and lens shade with it and it has become my favorite lens for Super 8.

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

I call it the "music video / dream sequence" lens. It distorts like crazy and doesn't have the best contrast, resolution or color fidelity. But it is a funky wide look, one that will never match any other lens in your set. I own one and only pull it out for special use shots. It takes 2" filters internally and it covers S-16 in the wider T-stops. The Ang. 5.9 is cleaner and better contrast but it does not cover S-16 and it does not take an internal filter.

• Premium Member
I call it the "music video / dream sequence" lens. It distorts like crazy and doesn't have the best contrast, resolution or color fidelity. But it is a funky wide look, one that will never match any other lens in your set. I own one and only pull it out for special use shots. It takes 2" filters internally and it covers S-16 in the wider T-stops. The Ang. 5.9 is cleaner and better contrast but it does not cover S-16 and it does not take an internal filter.

You can have your lens technician set the focal distance of the Kinoptik 5.7 lens to what you want. If you do only landscapes you can set it to near infinity, if you do music videos, you can set it to 2 or 3 feet. This may give you a little more sharpness.

My tech, Stuart Rabin from Focus Optics, recommended I set mine to 10 feet for general use. :rolleyes: