Demo Reel Critique

• Premium Member
Is it too much trouble to download?

Hi,

Well 25.9 MB is a big file. I had a shoot for this afternoon cancalled so I had time to download and view.

Its much, much too long at 4 minutes and 44 seconds. There are a handful of good shots but most are too ordinary for a showreel IMHO. If you aimed for 1 minute I think you could have reel worth watching. Please don't take this the wrong way, I am trying to help.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Thanks for the input Stephen, I couldn't agree more. Not only is it WAY too long, but I included a lot of old footage from student films and early work. What in your opinion was worth keeping? This is over a year old and I am amassing my more recent work to include, but what do you think should rollover?

Thanks again!

• Premium Member
Thanks for the input Stephen, I couldn't agree more. Not only is it WAY too long, but I included a lot of old footage from student films and early work. What in your opinion was worth keeping? This is over a year old and I am amassing my more recent work to include, but what do you think should rollover?

Thanks again!

Hi,

The "moody lit" stuff is worth keeping, Don't repeat scenes like the skateboard and car. Show only shots of the sort of work you want to do. If you could get the shot without any effort or lighting its best left out unless its of a VIP.

Just my 2c

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi,

The "moody lit" stuff is worth keeping, Don't repeat scenes like the skateboard and car. Show only shots of the sort of work you want to do. If you could get the shot without any effort or lighting its best left out unless its of a VIP.

Just my 2c

Stephen

Good advice, thanks!

Hi,

I have to agree that it becomes a bit samey after a while. Maybne you could organise the footage into groups a little better and then maybe shorten the reel a little. After a few minutes it seems like you are repeating shots even though you are not but they obviously come from the same films.

My 2 pence worth...

It starts well, but gets weak towards the end. Dont make a 5 minute demo if you dont have 5 minutes worth of good stuff. you can impress people with 2 minutes. also choose your end shot wisely. you have basicly ENG news-style video ending a reel that started with interesting film work. watch your pacing and sequencing. you have great shots there, but the editting confuses them.