Cinematography in Delicatessen

Jim Malone

I just watched Delicatessen. I was completely blown away by the cinematography. It really fits my aesthetic sensibilities. To me every frame was absolutely perfect. I love the color and composition.

Can anyone tell me about the color on this film? The whole film was very warm and yellowish. The color blue did not appear in the film (that I saw) until the very last shot. How is this look achieved? I can't imagine that it is done in with color grading in post as I don't believe they were doing that so much back in 1991. Is it all about using lights with warm colored gels? Or is there a specific film stock that can be used to achieve this look?

Please advise. Anything you can tell me, even just observations about how it was shot, lit, composed, would be great. Many thanks!!!!

Guest fstop

Art direction, warm lens filtration/coloured gels, daylight balanced film and bleach bypass/ENR to whack up the contrast.

I remember hearing that the film's optical effects were ten times more complicated because of the distinct pallette.

• Premium Member

I was traineeing color grading at Eclair's lab when Yvan Lucas graded this film. He really is a great color timist. The technics used on the shooting, I don't know, just heard there was no blue things on the set, but I can tell you it was not bleach bypass, it was accelerator bypass. I never heard of Varicon flash, but it doesn't mean there was no, I just would be astonished there was, since I didn't hear that... 5248 for sure. At this time there was no DI but of course there was traditionnal grading, that means working on the 3 : R, G, B channel. The Darius's will was a "dry blood color". It's basically no blue, so, yellowish and a bit of red.

• Premium Member
I never heard of Varicon flash, but it doesn't mean there was no, I just would be astonished there was, since I didn't hear that...

In the very nice book that Evan mention, Darius Khondji says that he used the Varicon for the film.

• Premium Member

Ok,then. I realised after I posted that one thing that astonished me when I was "working" at Eclair is that color timer are sometimes not aware much of how the film was shot... Sometimes they are sometimes not. And Yvan just did not mention that.

As for ENR. Do you know if it was used on this one ? This I don't know either, it was the final timing only I assisted.

But One thing I know for sure is that it was not skip bleach put skip accelerator (the pos, not the neg)

• Premium Member

The didn't use ENR per se, but the similar process that you described (accelerator bypass), which according to Khondji gives you the look of a fifty percent bleach-by-pass. Since all these bleach-bypass processes are based on the same principle, the look would be similar to ENR.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Thank you, David.

It's because ENR requires an extra b&w developing tank to be installed in the ECP-2B processor, unlike skip-bleach which can be done in either neg or positive because it just involves skipping the bleach step.

• Premium Member

I must admit that although I love the work of Jeunet and Khondji, the ultra-wide imagery of Delicatessen and La Cité des Enfants Perdu can sometimes take me right out of it. Obviously they're there for comedic effect - and serve that purpose well - it's just that I keep longing for some mid- to longer lens imagery to show up (and they never kind of do). Another problem with 'extreme' looks is that they don't age very well.

• Premium Member

Thanks again, very interesting

It's because ENR requires an extra b&w developing tank to be installed in the ECP-2B processor, unlike skip-bleach which can be done in either neg or positive because it just involves skipping the bleach step.

• 5 months later...