Scam Auction EBay

• Premium Member

Hi,

That lense set sold yesterday for $8950 from a seller with a feedback of 2. He was not a DoP but took them in payment for a debt, so he said.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

They are back today Auction with another seller

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi,

That lense set sold yesterday for $8950 from a seller with a feedback of 2. He was not a DoP but took them in payment for a debt, so he said.

They are back today Auction with another seller

Stephen

That person has dozens of scam auctions up right now. Here is a camera that did not sell a few weeks ago, so the guy(the real owner) in Australia is selling the parts individually. But this dirt bag scammer stole the pictures of his whole package and is scamming them at the auction below:

Scam Aaton Auction

Told eBay about this a week or so ago and they don't give a *@#!. What ya gonna do. BUYER BEWARE. EBay has become a total sleaze pit.

-Tim

But this dirt bag scammer stole the pictures of his whole package and is scamming them at the auction below:

Scam Aaton Auction

Wow, that's an absurd ... the scammer didn't even wait a few weeks .... I mean, not that it'd have been ok but you can still see the authentic ad. Ridiculous.

A few months ago I received an email "from Ebay" saying I should change my password or something like that. Scam, of course. The URL was something like 'ebay.changeyourpassword.com'. Anyways, I sent an email to Ebay ... nobody answered me and a few weeks later ... the forged website was still up.

• Premium Member
That person has dozens of scam auctions up right now. Here is a camera that did not sell a few weeks ago, so the guy(the real owner) in Australia is selling the parts individually. But this dirt bag scammer stole the pictures of his whole package and is scamming them at the auction below:

Scam Aaton Auction

Told eBay about this a week or so ago and they don't give a *@#!. What ya gonna do. BUYER BEWARE. EBay has become a total sleaze pit.

-Tim

Tim,

His feedback is for low cost items. From Italy but lenses in London. I asked where I could inspect the lenses so I am waiting for a reply. I sent a copy of the auction to the original seller but I thought that might be a scam too.

Stephen

• Premium Member
How do you contact ebay these days?

They've made it harder than ever now.

All I can get is an endless supply of FAQ's links.

List the URL to contact them, & maybe we can all warn them & they'll do something about it.

MP

Hi,

For fake emails spoof@ebay.com works.

Stephen

• Premium Member

They seem to do absolutely nothing to shut down or discourage scam listings. I've seen the same Arri 2C package appear over and over. They could start by discontinuing one-day listings, which are a certain recipe for fraud. Sellers that insist on being contacted outside of ebay through a different e-mail are also guaranteed frauds.

• Premium Member
They seem to do absolutely nothing to shut down or discourage scam listings. I've seen the same Arri 2C package appear over and over. They could start by discontinuing one-day listings, which are a certain recipe for fraud. Sellers that insist on being contacted outside of ebay through a different e-mail are also guaranteed frauds.

I guess eBay finally got enough complaints, all that person's auctions have been taken down.

-Tim

• Premium Member
I guess eBay finally got enough complaints, all that person's auctions have been taken down.

-Tim

Oh, yeah? Another phony listing went up shortly after you posted. No kidding.

• Premium Member
Oh, yeah? Another phony listing went up shortly after you posted. No kidding.

Really? I only follow the Arri and Aaton auctions and I have not seen any new phony listings for either of those brands. What did you see?

-Tim

• Premium Member
Really? I only follow the Arri and Aaton auctions and I have not seen any new phony listings for either of those brands. What did you see?

-Tim

Last night, just a few hours after your post, I saw one of the most blatant examples yet, where the fraud listing of an Arri 2C was actually placed right next to the real listing. These frauds are typically posted as 1-day listings, and are rarely posted for the full 24 hours.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

If you see him around again, setup a fake eBay account and bid a ridiculously high amount. They have to pay in advance for the listing I think, that'll pee him off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
If you see him around again, setup a fake eBay account and bid a ridiculously high amount. They have to pay in advance for the listing I think, that'll pee him off.

Hi,

There back!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CookeVan-Diemen-18-25-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Whats interesting is there are no bids. They have Highjacked a good account this time!

Stephen

how exactly do you determine if a listing is a scam other than low feedback scores? how can you be sure? So these people that fall for the scams lose their money and thats the end of it??

mad world

Edited by Dajan Bozanic

• Premium Member
how exactly do you determine if a listing is a scam other than low feedback scores? how can you be sure? So these people that fall for the scams lose their money and thats the end of it??

mad world

Hi,

This seller had about 475 feedbacks and 98% Poss. Lenses were offered for $700. Contact seller at this email address not via Ebay. The photos were copied from another auction.

The page is no longer there so it's not easy to remember, I just knew it was a scam in 10 seconds. After many Ebay purchases you can just 'smell' them.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi,

This seller had about 475 feedbacks and 98% Poss. Lenses were offered for $700. Contact seller at this email address not via Ebay. The photos were copied from another auction.

The page is no longer there so it's not easy to remember, I just knew it was a scam in 10 seconds. After many Ebay purchases you can just 'smell' them.

Stephen

The scams that direct all answers to an email address but that have good feedback scores are using hijacked seller's accounts. eBay has no security against someone using a passwork guessing bot to steal member account passwords. The "lady" who runs eBay is one of those spoiled brat super-rich CEO types that could care less about what's happening in her marketplace. She pays lip service to security but won't spend any money to significantly improve it.

It's helpful to look at the seller's feedback listings and see what sort of items they have been allegedly buying and selling. For instance, if the seller has listed an Arri 2C but has been buying and selling stamps exclusively - there's definitely something fishy. The listing category is also usually wrong - cameras listed in "ladies lingerie", etc.

Not to insult you Stephen, I've had problems with listings with camera items listed on the US eBay site from sellers in the EU. There are sellers in your part of the world who are deliberately dumping borderline gear on US eBay. They list things as "good used" that are broken, 150mm bowl tripods that aren't 150mm but some oddball size, etc. I've stopped buying from Europe unless the seller is an established rental house like Joe Dunton, etc.

• Premium Member
Not to insult you Stephen, I've had problems with listings with camera items listed on the US eBay site from sellers in the EU. There are sellers in your part of the world who are deliberately dumping borderline gear on US eBay. They list things as "good used" that are broken, 150mm bowl tripods that aren't 150mm but some oddball size, etc. I've stopped buying from Europe unless the seller is an established rental house like Joe Dunton, etc.

Hal,

I have not yet sold anything on Ebay but will soon! I think people use the US site as most film equipment is sold in US$. As I am only fluent in English I can only really use the UK or US site.

I find lenses are always worse than the description, with cleaning marks or worse when described as perfect.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hal,

I find lenses are always worse than the description, with cleaning marks or worse when described as perfect.

Stephen

My Cooke 40mm S2 and 25mm S3 both came off eBay and both have nice glass but had problems. The seller of the 25mm was very upfront in that he had tried to close focus the lens by pulling the stop pin and jammed it. Guy at ZGC fixed, cleaned, and checked collimation on it for $95. The 40mm has a misadjusted back focus, it's at ZGC for checkout and collimation as we speak. I told Guy exactly how far off the focus is and he said that it's well within adjustment range. He speculated that someone probably had it on a camera with a back focus problem and misadjusted the lens to compensate. Many Cooke S2's and S3's have been converted and rehoused so to a certain extent I guess the remaining ones still in Arri standard mount are one version or another of hangar queens (aviation slang for the airplane that sits in the corner of the hangar and rarely flies because something's always wrong with it).

My 75mm S2 came from Isaia and it's perfect, it arrived ready for use (thank you Matt).

• Premium Member

If you see this picture on eBay, the auction is a scam. This person has listed the camera on eight different auctions in the last 24 hours. All with the "don't use 'ask seller a question', email me here instead" and listing them under things like "women's clothes" and "music CD's".

ScamArri.jpg

-Tim

• Premium Member

Man, eBay really sucks. I reported each of the eight scam auctions this person put up, all saying the same thing, all with the same picture. EBay took seven of them down and is refusing to take the last one down, even though they are all identical auctions and none are listed in Camera & Photo. Now the one they left up has hundreds of dollars of bids. So I tried to warn the top three bidders that they are bidding on a scam, and eBay is blocking the "contact member" messages, so there is no way to warn these bidders. Unbelievable. EBay knows these people are getting ripped off, and they refuse to do JACK about it.

Disgusted,

-Tim

They are not only on ebay unfortunally. Also Mandy and Kitmondo have their share.

If you finf an advertisement about top of the line and nearly new equipment (Arricam, Cooke S4 and such)

you must be really careful

There is someone based in Italy that "sells" them but if you contact the companies like Cooke or Arriflex, most likely they will reply that they never sold that equipment to that country or place.

Be careful

I've bought dozens of things off ebay without a problem. Mostly they've been used grip gear, fresnels lights, and HMI's.

Closest thing I had to a problem was a tripod set I won from a seller with no feedback. After the auction I tried to open a communication channel with the seller before I sent them any $$ and they wouldn't allow it. They just ignored any request to 'give me a call' or to use escrow.com. I never sent them any money and that was the end of it.

I suspect that 99% of the transactions on ebay are legit, and you actually can get a deal that's too good to be true. I once won a pair of 270W LTM HMI Sun Guns with globes for $10 because they were listed poorly. I was unable to find ballasts for them so I turned around and resold them on ebay for $300.

On the other hand, if you get a queezy feeling about a seller, stay away.

• Premium Member

After the tenth auction of the same camera listed above, I did a little digging on the individual running the scam. His MO is that he hijacks a users account and then lists between sixty and eighty high dollar items on 24 hour auctions. I figure it is in hopes of the auctions being completed and him getting money or user information before he is reported to eBay or is discovered to be a fraud.

So far this one individual has listed over seven hundred high dollar fake auctions in the last forty eight hours alone.

And if no one had notified eBay, who knows how many people would have been ripped off. The only reason I keep finding them is that he keeps listing that same camera as one of the sixty to eighty high dollar items, and it keeps turning up on my Arriflex eBay search engine. Who knows how many other scammers are out there doing the same thing.

If anyone knows a good class action lawyer, he/she should know about this. Maybe if eBay was hit by a huge class action lawsuit, they would police the site better.

-Tim