Arri S16 V. Eclair ACL2

Javier Calderon

Hello, all. Just did a search on here under "Arriflex S16", and then "Arri S16", and didn't really find as much as I hoped for, so I'm posting on here as well.

I'm looking at getting a good sync sound 16 camera. My price range can't go much (if at all) over $2K. I was at first looking at Bolex, but, finding out that they are not suitable sync sound cameras, I continued searching and it seemed that the ACL2 was a good way to go. I still feel this, and have been looking out for good deals on ACL2s, feeling that any better sync sound cameras would be out of my price range. However, I just ran across an Arri S16 being sold for under $2K, and all the sudden I'm wondering what THIS camera's capabilities are - especially as a sync sound piece. Can anyone give me a brief bit of comparisons and/or advice on which one would be better for my purposes? i.e. an ACL2 at ~$2K or an Arri S16 for around the same price?

Thank you very much all in advance for your responses,

Javier Calderon

• Premium Member
Hello, all. Just did a search on here under "Arriflex S16", and then "Arri S16", and didn't really find as much as I hoped for, so I'm posting on here as well.

I'm looking at getting a good sync sound 16 camera. My price range can't go much (if at all) over $2K. I was at first looking at Bolex, but, finding out that they are not suitable sync sound cameras, I continued searching and it seemed that the ACL2 was a good way to go. I still feel this, and have been looking out for good deals on ACL2s, feeling that any better sync sound cameras would be out of my price range. However, I just ran across an Arri S16 being sold for under $2K, and all the sudden I'm wondering what THIS camera's capabilities are - especially as a sync sound piece. Can anyone give me a brief bit of comparisons and/or advice on which one would be better for my purposes? i.e. an ACL2 at ~$2K or an Arri S16 for around the same price?

Thank you very much all in advance for your responses,

Javier Calderon

The Arriflex camera you are referring to is called an Arriflex 16S, not an S16. If you search this forum for information about the Arriflex 16S, or Arri 16S, you will find hundreds of posts. It is a very popular camera. I actually have a web site dedicated to the 16S. You can view it below.

www.Arri16S.com

The Eclair ACL2 is a more expensive camera than the 16S, and it is also much quieter. If your budget is only $2000, then any ACL2 you pick up for that price is not going to be in very good shape. You should have no problem picking up a decent Arri 16S for under $2000. But again, it is a noisier camera.

-Tim

Thank you for the info Tim. Here's another question (anyone else please chime in as well). I've since looked at your Arri site, and have been looking at some of the threads on here regarding Arris, etc . . .

There's the 16S . . . There's the 16bl . . . There are the SR series . . .

and these are but a few of the various arris out there right?

Okay . . . So . . . I had been under the impression that Arris are generally more expensive than the Eclair ACL2 . . . That they were a better sync sound camera . . . but also much more expensive . . . and this is not necessarilly the case I see now . . .

Obviously, as anyone here can at this point see, I am but a wee novice, and am starving for proper information. I'm trying to educate myself, by reading this site and doing google searches, but can only go so fast and have only been able to gleen so much.

I was under the impression that the best sync sound camera for around $2K that I could get was an Eclair ACL2.

The 16s is a bit noisier (as you mentioned, Tim), but I'm assuming there's an Arri that is LESS noisy than even an Eclair - yes? that would make an even better sync sound camera? I'm also assuming that whatever Arri this would be would fall quite out of my price range. All the same, I still would like to know . . . :)

I know this message here is very, very scattered in terms of info on my part . . . and no super clear question is quite being asked . . . but . . . it 's almost like the reading that I've been doing is filling me with more questions than I even know how to formulate at this point.

Anyone patient enough to supply any words of info here would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Javier Calderon

• Premium Member

Javier,

Go to Amazon.com and purchase a copy of "The 16mm Camera Book" by Douglas Underdahl, and/or a copy of "Cinematography : Third Edition" by Kris Malkiewicz, M. David Mullen. These two books will answer most of your questions about 16mm cameras and sync sound.

Yes there are ARRI cameras that are quieter than the Eclair. A properly service Arriflex 16BL, a properly service Arriflex 16SR, a properly service Arriflex 16SRII, any Arriflex 16SR3. The Arriflex 16BL will be in the same price range as the Eclair. The SR cameras are going to be more expensive. But again, read the two books above and you will have a much better knowledge of 16mm cameras and what each is capable of.

-Tim

If you go to visualproducts.com, you will find most of the cameras that have been discussed and the approximate price you can expect to pay for one that is in pristine, working condition (I say pristine because the prices are a bit high on the "approximate" spectrum). You can also check out Mandy.com's classified section (where I found my beautiful BL for $2000).

Tim is the man when it comes to 16mm, so listen to the guy. If you want my two cents- get an Arri. The Germans (or the "Western Germans" as the case may be) know what they are doing. The cameras are about the same price, but they feel more like a "movie camera". The Eclair is a great camera and quiet and I know people who swear by it and I think if you got one, you'd probably be happy with it- I simply prefer Arris.

-Gino Terribilini

Edited by Gino Terribilini

ever thought about a CP-16R. Ive heard these are awesome sync soound cameras and you could get a pretty nice setup on your budget.

anyone have any reasons Arris and Eclairs are better than cinema Products? especially if it's been rebuilt.

kirk