Rank Cinetel mark III

The unit I was looking at was going for 25 hundred buck + shipping. It said it was working when it was taken out of service. I have seen what look like newer versions of the same model. One was a Rank Cintel Ursa w/ 888 DAVINCI complete telecine room for 40K another was a Rank Cintel 3 Digi 4 w/ 888 DAVINCI-Renasance for 28K both from the same source. My thinking is if I could get this Mark 3 for a grand or less, it's got to be worth it, however, I know absolutely NOTHING about these machines. I don't know if there's anyone in this area who knows anything about these machines, so if I were to get it at that price, my plan WAS to slowly educate myself about this equipment and try to recruit someone who knows something about them to help me figure it out. I can get a betaSP deck from the same guy for a few hundred bucks.

I had planned to use that for dailies during my shoots and use it for adding computer animation to my sequences. After reading these comments though I'm wondering if this plan might be a bit dubiuos.

A grand well 15 hundred really w/ shipping isn't a tremendious amount of cash but I certainly don't want to just throw the money way. So far as I know, NO ONE in this area is doing this kind of work so if I farmer it out, everything will have to be shipped to LA ( I think thats the closest place but I haven't done that much research) and it WON'T be cheap. If I have to print dailies, THAT woun't be cheap! I wasn't planning on becoming a film lab as a full time occupation but while I'm planning films and between shoots, I wouldn't mind doing it on a small scale. also any film company that comes into the area might be willing to throw a little of the work my way sense I'm local.

I doubt whether I'll ever be able to find a machine like this, at that price again. So do I gamble? Is it the Chevy in a some old lady's barn she's selling for $500 that turns out to be a 58 Corvette in all original condition or do I end up with a 15 hundred buck boat anchor? I guess I'll just have to decide. I've thrown the dice before and sometimes it's Boxcars and sometimes it's Snake eyes but I keep throwin' dem bones. I guess that's what being a filmmaker's all about. B)

• Premium Member
I doubt whether I'll ever be able to find a machine like this, at that price again.

Hi Capt,

I fear you will be able to find as many Mk 3's as you could ever want! You will spend thousands to get the machine running, and it does not have a color corrector.

If you transfer S16 you may find you burn the tube and can't transfer 35 any more! You are entering a black hole!

Stephen

You know Stephen, this thing is beginning to look more and more like it's dripping w/ seaweed. I think I'll just let it pass and take my lumps with tha cost of printing dailies. Maybe I can do them in B & W or something to keep costs down, we'll see. Thanks for the advice. :D

• Premium Member
You know Stephen, this thing is beginning to look more and more like it's dripping w/ seaweed. I think I'll just let it pass and take my lumps with tha cost of printing dailies. Maybe I can do them in B & W or something to keep costs down, we'll see. Thanks for the advice. :D

Hi,

Your life will be much happier without a MK3. I worked on one 10 years ago so I could get free transfers myself. It's like working on a set when just everything that could go wrong does, day in and day out.

That Machine got sold 10 years ago for £140,000, which was a high price but the machine was a good one!

Stephen

• Premium Member

If you have to own an old telecine, then look into the Bosch FDL-60's and 90's (also called Quadra). They were the forerunners to the Spirit and share the same design with a single array CCD instead of a tube. This never needs replacing and will end up costing you less over time. They're stricly SD, but can turn out some good images still with the right color corrector.

I'll definately keep an eye open for one of those. I still would like to be able to telecine my own stuff but I'm sure not going to use a Cintel to do it, at least not on my dime. Thanks. If anyone else has any suggestions for machines that I might get a deal on and would not be a absurd amount of work to keep going, please let me know. As I said, I know NOTHING about these machines. thanks B)

...look into the Bosch FDL-60's.... They're stricly SD, but can turn out some good images still with the right color corrector.

The one made by Corporate is not the right color corrector, I would say. The one we had was festooned with dozens or maybe hundreds of knobs. There had to be something wrong with the preamp or preconditioning since we could never get a good grey scale out of it. Turning any knob in either direction just made the picture uglier. The factory was no help, all the guy wanted to talk about was who he was suing for infringing his patents. Management insisted on hiring a pompous pot-smoking fraud who kept asking clients if they would like to try transferring on the FDL instead of the Rank for a change, meaning hours of nonproductive frustration for us poor working slobs. And the "corrector" had a built-in voice synthesizer that kept saying "Please Try Again" in front of our clients. It has been 22 years now and I still occasionally have nightmares about it.

The Rank wasn't much better. Although it produced a wonderful picture quickly when correctly adjusted, a different transistor (BC107 maybe) would randomly fail every few days. And that was with taking off and throwing away the front doors for better ventilation of the circuit boards, as the Rank rep privately recommended. I don't recall any power supply problems though.

Our TVT-16 telecine machine might possibly be out in a few months. This will be for positive/reversal and not intended for negative however. I have preliminary specs posted on the website http://www.tobincinemasystems.com .

Hi Clive,

Any chance that machine will be Super-16 switchable? Or be able to pull out wide enough to do Ultra 16?

Dave