Film ASA- Followup

A few days ago I asked how film ASA/ISO numbers are assigned. I don't think I was as clear as I could have been, sorry. I was wondering, and am assuming that equations are used on results obtained from certain tests (if I am wrong, please correct me), what equations are used and what tests are conducted to find the film speed. How is the number 500 arrived at, versus the number 50? I haven't been able to find this out anywhere. Thanks!

• Premium Member

May I suggest the reading of the classic " The negative" by Ansel Adams, available from most on-line bookshops. It explains how to set up B&W processing and how to use the zone system for exposure control.

This is all for still photography but very applicable to motion picture. I recommended this book to a new-to-film DOP (he had a lot of video experience). He shot about 3 or 4 rolls of 5218 reloaded in 36 exposure cartridges and made phenomenal progress as a film DOP.

Basically Adams recommends to do exposure tests and find where zone 1 (just above D-Min) falls. If you understand this then you will also understand that push processing a negative will not really increase the speed of the film, just add some density and give higher print numbers.

• Premium Member

The blackest black you will ever get is from the minimum density (D-min) of the negative. So unless you have enough exposure to have some shadow area image densities above the minimum density of the negative, you will not capture the information.

With Kodak VISION Premier Color Print Film (2393), the blackest black you can get on the film is over 5.0 in density, or more than a 100,000:1 brightness ratio. Projection lens flare and ambient light in the theatre reduce this somewhat, but you still can achieve remarkably rich blacks on the screen.

I found out from a search, that the ASA number is defined as 10/H, where H is the exposure in lux seconds, at which certain image perameters are reached. The question still remains, though, what these image parameters are.

• Premium Member

A very good discussion of film speed parameters is in the Kodak technical paper "Technical Basis of Photographic Speed Determination, or What is a Normal Exposure" by Daan M. Zwick, SMPTE Journal, August 1979, Volume 88, page 533.

• Premium Member

1) The asa settings don't fit to film neither video

2) you ahve different methods to determine one film sensitivity

3) The general formula is S=K/H where S is sensitivity, K a figure depending on the film, H the necessary lumination for obtaining a certain reference density this reference density depending upon the method :

for instance, for b and w : K = 0.8, Rd (refence density) is 0.1 over the toe -