Arriflex 16S/16ST/16M Descision

Christian Blas

I am thinking about the different types of model Arriflex like the Arriflex 16S, 16ST, 16M. I thinking about the difference between these models and which model is better. So which one is good in each field?

-Voice/Sound Overs (Good for dubbing)

-Affordable (Cheap)?

-Easily Assesible (Not difficult to use)?

-Weight (Which is lighter)?

-Durability?

-Able to be hand-held?

-Able to be held by a tripod?

-Sync-use?

• Premium Member

Arri S and St are the same thing but there are a few models that are just a variation upon the theme.

Arri M is an odd cross between a BL and an S(t) that uses a geared magazine instead of an external torque motor and doesn't take 100' daylight loads, but the kibbles and bits in the movement are essentially the same.

You could get really particular about about new style doors or old style doors or bayonet mounts or pilotone modules... but all and all they're the same camera.

They're all good for dubbing if you've got a sync motor in them.

They're all cheap.

They're all easy to use.

They all weigh about the same (between the S, SB, SB/GS, M etc..)

Durability-wise, they've all been around for 40-50 years so they're proven durable, but at that point depending on how abused the camera has been in the past and how many spare parts are in circulation will dictate how durable it is for your tastes.

They can be hand held and mounted on a tripod, and to use on a jib or a stedicam is a bit of a problem as videotaps are hard to come by for the camera.

You will not be able to get away with sync sound unless you put the camera in a fridge... even a recently serviced, properlly maintained Arri S will resemble a blender.

• Premium Member

Nathan is dead on with all of the above.

I think the Arriflex 16S/St/S/B is a more versatile camera in that it can use 100 ft loads and is quite easy to hand hold, something that is a bit of a struggle with the Arriflex 16M, especially with the 400 ft mag.

It is also probably a bit easier to get parts for the 16S series as there were 20,000 of them made and ARRI in New York still services (read, can get parts for) Arriflex 16S cameras with serial numbers higher than 15,000.

There are a few of us who can set an Arriflex 16S back to original factory specs. I am currently overhauling four 16S cameras for an east coast university and my overhauls include everything from complete disassembly, cleaning, lubricating, and adjusting of all parts. I also adjust the mirror run out (which can cause the image in the viewfinder to wobble), set the pressure plate spring force, set the side rail spring force, and time the movement per my training from Axel Broda. I only use the original lubricants that ARRI used in the camera, from the ARRI grease and Chronosynth to the molykote and Isoflex Cantanera. When the cameras leave my shop they function like brand new.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the Arriflex 16M camera, and they are just as durable as the 16S.

Hope that helps,

-Tim

Everyone has great pointers. I have two Arri M cameras with the 200 foot mags. Its great becuase i can purchase affordable short ends instead of being stuck with using daylight loads. I have used daylight loads within the 200 ft mags though. The 400 ft mag is a bit difficult to operate, as a result I sold mine. Again, the 200 foot mags are very compact and easy to deal with. Otherwise, it is nearly identical in functionality and use to the Arri S.