Update on the 100asa super 8 film

John Adolfi

• Premium Member
Any word on the status of vision 2 100 asa film for super 8? If Kodak would release it I believe I'd stop my internal complaining about the demise of Kodachrome.

I believe that Kodak is a bit concerned that people with automatic super-8 cameras that only go to f-16 might experience unacceptable overexposure when shooting in the midday sun. Even super-8 cameras that go to f-22 might still prove inaccurate once the Iris is down to the F-16 range as well.

Kodachrome 40 shot during the mid day sun would normally yield good results between f-5.6 to F-11 range, now add TWO F-stops of sensitivity to that and we're talking an F-11 to f-22 range and that could spell trouble when filming during the brighter part of the day.

(Edit, new material below)

Oops, I thought you were refering to Ektachrome 100 D. All in all, I think a reversal stock makes more sense because it would have a wider appeal, even if means dropping the Ektachrome 64T. However, the issue of Ecktachrome 100D not being ideal for some cameras does come into play.

As for the 100 ASA negative, wouldn't you prefer the 50 ASA negative instead?

I believe that Kodak is a bit nervous that people with automatic super-8 cameras that only go to f-16 might experience unacceptable overexposure when shooting in the midday sun.

Why would that be a concern? Kodachrome is even more sensitive, no concern there. Am I missing something?

• Premium Member
Why would that be a concern? Kodachrome is even more sensitive, no concern there. Am I missing something?

No, Kodachrome is less sensitive. The lower the ASA the less sensitive the film, Kodachrome is two f-stops less sensitive for outdoor shooting then the Ektachrome 100 D would be, as for the 100 negative, that could theorectically be overexposed one f-stop.

But I have heard on these forums that the 100ASA is not that different from the 200ASA, wouldn't releasing the 50 ASA negative make more sense?

No, Kodachrome is less sensitive. The lower the ASA the less sensitive the film, Kodachrome is two f-stops less sensitive for outdoor shooting then the Ektachrome 100 D would be, as for the 100 negative, that could theorectically be overexposed one f-stop.

But I have heard on these forums that the 100ASA is not that different from the 200ASA, wouldn't releasing the 50 ASA negative make more sense?

Sorry but the negative film exposure is throwing me. It's opposit of the reversal. If you over expose the reversal film it will under expose the negative. Thanks for clearifying that.

I'm pretty sure it's the 7201 50ASA neg they are considering, and 7285 100D reversal.

Well if the vision 2 stocks are so superior, then don't you think that the 100 stock would be the best choice between the 100D and it? Help me here.

• Premium Member
Well if the vision 2 stocks are so superior, then don't you think that the 100 stock would be the best choice between the 100D and it? Help me here.

But 100D is also a reversal film and would be welcomed by people who still edit the actual film, still project their own films AND who alsodo do it themselves transfers to video a better option than the 64T that is currently available.