Filming inside w/o permission

GeorgeSelinsky

Hi folks,

I am planning to film a scene in a private university that charges filmmakers a ridiculous amount per hour for filming on their premises as its standard policy. I am actually filming a workshop for actors, which is being hosted by a student of that university, and using that footage for my film (clever). The people all are in the know and are going to sign releases.

I am wondering if I later show this film and someone from the university sees it, and realises there was no "filming permit" applied for the shoot, can they take legal action against me? Also, is it possible or likely that an interior location can be copyrighted? I'm sure their film students film inside there all the time, I was just visiting the location today and I saw a scrap of 16mm raw stock on the floor :)

Also, I want to get a shot of the exterior of the school, which was built in the 1800's. I am wondering if this is copyrighted, and if it is, how do I find out - aside from calling them up and asking and getting a bunch of "well, why do you need to know?" questions thrown back.

Thanks for all advice,

- G.

From my limited research into this area, I've gotten the impression that you can shoot pretty much anything or anywhere you want if your movie is just going to play at festivals and private screenings.

However, if you're looking for a theatrical or video release, the distribution company will probably want to see that you have paperwork in order for all locations, actors, extras, etc.

-Chance

For the exteriors, as long as you are shooting from public property they can't do anything about it. As for the interiors and anything else, while technically they may be in the right, in reality let's be realistic. No one will who cares will likely see it and if they do will probably not connect the dots. People sneak footage all the time whether it is right or not to do so. Years ago (pre-9/11) I strapped an Arri 2c to the hood of a car and drove back & forth through the Lincoln Tunnel a few times before we were pulled over. We then lied that we were simply on the way to a shoot and not actually shooting in the tunnel. Of course that footage is all over the movie and no one ever said a thing.

• Premium Member

With the fears of terrorism and emphasis on "homeland security", shooting without permission around sites that may be considered sensitive (bridges, tunnels, power plants, factories, etc.) may bring you SIGNIFICANT attention from the authorities. :unsure:

With the fears of terrorism and emphasis on "homeland security", shooting without permission around sites that may be considered sensitive (bridges, tunnels, power plants, factories, etc.) may bring you SIGNIFICANT attention from the authorities.

The entrances to the Lincoln Tunnel (and many other places) now have large signs emphatically stating "No Cameras or Photography of ANY Kind Allowed."

• Premium Member

About a year and a half ago we got busted filming an EL train pulling into the station in Chicago. The authorities are really cracking down.

Last summer we wanted to film on a University Campus and we decided to bite the bullet and get permission. It took us about a month and a half. We had to show them our script, and we had to show them our proof of insurance and jump through some hoops, but for us it was worth it to have something in writing that said we could use the images of their campus in our film.

A couple of years ago we were working on a documentary of a legendary motorcycle racer, and we shot some footage of him in a race. Turns out that the Racing organization had sold the TV/Film rights to the race series to a Fox affiliate and they tried to sue us and charge us $1000 per minute to use our own footage. It got to be such a headache that the doc was eventually scrapped.

We are much more careful now.

-Tim

I am planning to film a scene in a private university that charges filmmakers a ridiculous amount per hour for filming on their premises as its standard policy.

I'd suggest finding a local Locations Manager or Location Scout who is willing to make a few calls for you to the university. The Locations person may have already worked on a shoot at that university and may know just who to talk to to get you permission. And they may be able to convince the university to cut you a deal due to your lack of location funds.

Pro Locations Department people can be suprisingly helpful in securing locations you'd think were impossible to shoot in.