best pc program 4 video editing

eugene aniar

You could check with Avid, they've got an academic scheme, so you may get discount.

I'm not going to knock Vegas, since I've got it for doing showreels, but it doesn't work in the same way as the other editing programs. So, if you want to learn how to use the programs commonly used in most editing facilities Vegas isn't really the one to go for. A good point is that it's not so demanding on computing power as the other programs.

Unfortunately Final Cut only works on Macs.

• Premium Member

Hello all,

This is a point of contention for editors with product loyalty being a strong element. There are, however, a great many advantages to Adobe's line. Chief of which is application compatability. If you get the production suite package on academic discount, you get alot of software that can talk to itself for pretty cheap. Further, you can link mutiple computers together handling specific tasks without compatability hassles. I know Adobe products aren't very intuitive, but most software these days is brain meltingly complicated. The main complaint I hear about PCs and Adobe software is that they are not as stable as Macs with Final Cut. Then again, you go on the Mac user group pages and there they are bitching about crashes.

Avid has an old reputation yet, I think you can get as much or more out of Adobe's stuff for way less money.

Well, there's another two cents to throw into your intellectual piggy bank.

Paul

yeah, i've got a full adobe set-up right now, and i have to say i really like how all the programs connect. no need to close up one program, create a file in another, and import into another. all the adobe stuff works together. you can be in premiere pro, create a photoshop file, clip, etc. , select "edit in CS2, (or any other one of their programs, like after effects,)" manipulate/finetune in that program, and when you click save, it automatically updates in anything it's connected to (like premeire pro)

plus, if you work in a group, the have a these little notes/messages you can attach so as to communicate better with coworkers. i love it. instead of having to always get up and phisically show the guy on his system what you want to do, you can have a note system with visual cues to quicken the process.

yeah, and their cheap too, that's always a bonus. especially if you buy in a bundle. and once you've got the programs, you can update to the newer versions for half the price, kinda an incentive to stay with them.

so, all i can say is, i'd get adobe. (wait. i already did . . .)