Letter to Kodak

John Adolfi

The increase contrast and saturation is very subtle, they look very similar in S8 except for much finer grain in the 100D. Switching the two, would be almost like taking 64T and wiping off the grain.

The ideal stock list in my opinion:

100D color reversal

Tri X B&W reversal

50D color Neg

200T color neg

500T color neg

Hi;

I would not leave out Plus X B&W reversal, it's ideal for S8, fine grained and sharp with great contrast, it's the B&W partner to 7285 100D colour reversal.... Also, even though I'd love 7201 in S8, in the Beggars can't be choosers scenario were in 7217 rated at 64t with a W85 filter is probably not too far from 7201. It seems the 7285 100D colour reversal is more likely to happen and this at least is a BIG positive, I've also been reading that it should actually work better with the auto asa cams than the 64t did?

Olly

If you guys want S8 to be a "fully professional medium" as I read here, then maybe it's time to GIVE UP the auto notching ENTIRELY.

Seems to me 50D is *ideally* suited for S8 in every (other) respect.

I mean if I choose it over medium speed neg in 16/S16 why on earth wouldn't I want to choose it in a _smaller_ format ??

-Sam

And who is going to organize this drive, store by store, customer by customer? It isn't just going to happen on its own... How many independent dealers of Super-8 negative stock are there anyway?

There are only a handful of dealers that sell the negative super 8 films (we all probably know most of them off the top of our heads). The same applies to repeat customers that regularly buy decent quantities of super 8 film. All of this information can easily be obtained from Kodak's computer with accounting. We are probably talking under 50 candidates that might be worth asking. One person could either send a form letter or make phone calls... less than a few days effort for one employee.

This aside, the low ASA fine grain films in super 8 are more of a promotional tool than anything else. Kodak should want new customers who experiment with film to see their best product... even at a loss (but, we all know that the low ASA color films would sell the best in super 8). Today, super 8 is an investment in Kodak's promotion of film rater than a big money maker. Its one of their best offerings to entice new clients.

I would not leave out Plus X B&W reversal, it's ideal for S8, fine grained and sharp with great contrast, it's the B&W partner to 7285 100D colour reversal.... Also, even though I'd love 7201 in S8, in the Beggars can't be choosers scenario were in 7217 rated at 64t with a W85 filter is probably not too far from 7201. It seems the 7285 100D colour reversal is more likely to happen and this at least is a BIG positive, I've also been reading that it should actually work better with the auto asa cams than the 64t did?

Yeah, Plus X is pretty good for S8... I just like TriX a little better, and 5 stocks seem to be the par selection for S8. When it comes down to it, leaving things as they are but replacing 64T with 100D would be great. As for my experience with S8 100D, the camera meters it at 100ASA without filter... and it looks sooo good. Lets put it this way, people are going bannanas for Vel 50D. Spectra can't keep it in stock it's going so fast. Well, 100D is nearly identical except a little more red bias, where Velvia is a little more green bias. Plus, 100D is a full stop faster with the same grain, and less contrast.

When it comes to 7201. It would actually encourage me to shoot more of the other 2 negs, because then I would have the ability to work them together on things I would otherwise not do.