Letter to Kodak

John Adolfi

Dear Kodak,

Since the demise of Kodachrome you have forced me to consider your other weapons of the visual medium i.e. V2 200 and V2 500T. Thank you for taking the training wheels off my bike. My request is for a better and bigger bike with the addition of V2 100T and the 50D. These films will pretty much complete the cinematographers tool chest. Many have inquired already about these tools on this forum. Let me add my voice to this need. Your fresh film and quality assurances compells us to deal direct with you. Please head our call.

Sincerely,

John F. Adolfi

Former resident of Mattydale, N.Y.

Dear Pro8,

Thank you for providing the abovementioned stocks in Super 8 format. If ever I get around to needing some, I might give you a call. My request is for you to roll up some nitrate based films in Super 8 packaging. That could be fun, and would give Homeland Security something to think about. Nobody's requested these tools on the forum yet, so let me be the first. Pleez hede our call. :rolleyes:

Edited by Robert Hughes

• Premium Member
Dear Kodak,

Since the demise of Kodachrome you have forced me to consider your other weapons of the visual medium i.e. V2 200 and V2 500T. Thank you for taking the training wheels off my bike. My request is for a better and bigger bike with the addition of V2 100T and the 50D. These films will pretty much complete the cinematographers tool chest. Many have inquired already about these tools on this forum. Let me add my voice to this need. Your fresh film and quality assurances compells us to deal direct with you. Please head our call.

Sincerely,

John F. Adolfi

Former resident of Mattydale, N.Y.

I'm very pleased that you really like the look of 7218 and 7217 for Super-8 origination. :)

As you know, Kodak has been considering Kodak VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 7201 for Super-8 as well. Unfortunately, I am hearing that the business case for offering 7201 is not very strong and may not get approved. :( As you may know, the 200T 7217 is a very sharp film, and you can get even finer grain structure by overexposing by a stop or two. For example, if you use 7217 in daylight with a Wratten 85 filter and one stop of overexposure, you get a very useful 64D exposure rating, along with a significant reduction in graininess from using the finer grained mid and slow emulsions in 7217. I am a strong proponent of offering 7201 for Super-8, but I also know how good 7217 can look with a "rich" exposure to reduce graininess.

Not yet. Getting some pushback on not having two reversal films, so it may boil down to an either/or between 7280 (E64T) and 7285 (E100D).

Hi;

Thanks John, I must say I'd rather the 7285 and It certainly seems this is echoed by the majority of people using the format, judging from the major film forums at least.

Olly

• Premium Member

I'm very pleased that you really like the look of 7218 and 7217 for Super-8 origination. :)

As you know, Kodak has been considering Kodak VISION2 50D Color Negative Film 7201 for Super-8 as well. Unfortunately, I am hearing that the business case for offering 7201 is not very strong and may not get approved. :(

The best business case may be to just do a run and see what happens. Perhaps Kodak is worried that lower budgets that shoot 50 ASA neg in 16mm may use the Super-8 instead.

I am hearing that the business case for offering 7201 is not very strong and may not get approved.

The 7217 is awsome, but the potential of a film like 7201 will greatly improve the business case for cinematographers using and pitching the format. I have a lot of potential music video art work coming up. having a film like 7201 in the mix would make things so much easier. I would bag the 64T for 100D in a second. In my last festival on the big screen, I used 64T, 200T, 100D, Vel 50D... all in S8. The films that held together best were the 100D, Vel 50D, and 200T in tungston. I also have an awsome concert film hitting the streets in about 2 weeks where the 7218 in S8 and 16mm are amazing. But there is also serious need for a higher resolve film in daylight situations, that is lacking right now. If Kodak were to release 7201 and swap 64T for 100D, I seriously doubt those products would be collecting dust on the shelf.

• Premium Member
The 7217 is awsome, but the potential of a film like 7201 will greatly improve the business case for cinematographers using and pitching the format. I have a lot of potential music video art work coming up. having a film like 7201 in the mix would make things so much easier. I would bag the 64T for 100D in a second. In my last festival on the big screen, I used 64T, 200T, 100D, Vel 50D... all in S8. The films that held together best were the 100D, Vel 50D, and 200T in tungston. I also have an awsome concert film hitting the streets in about 2 weeks where the 7218 in S8 and 16mm are amazing. But there is also serious need for a higher resolve film in daylight situations, that is lacking right now. If Kodak were to release 7201 and swap 64T for 100D, I seriously doubt those products would be collecting dust on the shelf.

Kodak may be afraid that too many choices in Super-8 will keep filmmakers from graduating to 16mm.

• Premium Member
Kodak may be afraid that too many choices in Super-8 will keep filmmakers from graduating to 16mm.

With a relatively "niche" product like Super-8 films, I sense the issue is more of having so many films in inventory that the "slow runners" end up being discarded for old age. For good images, 7217 with a bit of overexposure and a Wratten 85 should come pretty close to 7201.

OK so the concensus is:

1.) Drop 64T unless you can sustain it with the new stocks we are proposing below.

2.) Release V2 100T

3.) Release V2 50D

4.) Release 100D (Is this a vision 2 stock?)

Kodak, John P. and the crew. You have to admit that this proposed progression within the super-8 community would be pretty darn exciting! Is saying "darn" in the heat of passion, super-8 passion ok?

Come on filmakers tell us what you think. Would you shoot more? Less? Same? Why?

"100D" is the E6 Ektachrome 5285 stock, which is more high contrast / high saturation than Ektachrome 64T.

The increase contrast and saturation is very subtle, they look very similar in S8 except for much finer grain in the 100D. Switching the two, would be almost like taking 64T and wiping off the grain.

The ideal stock list in my opinion:

100D color reversal

Tri X B&W reversal

50D color Neg

200T color neg

500T color neg

• Premium Member
OK so the concensus is:

1.) Drop 64T unless you can sustain it with the new stocks we are proposing below.

2.) Release V2 100T

3.) Release V2 50D

4.) Release 100D (Is this a vision 2 stock?)

Kodak, John P. and the crew. You have to admit that this proposed progression within the super-8 community would be pretty darn exciting! Is saying "darn" in the heat of passion, super-8 passion ok?

Come on filmakers tell us what you think. Would you shoot more? Less? Same? Why?

Reviewing your list...

2.) Release V2 100T

3.) Release V2 50D

4.) Release 100D (Is this a vision 2 stock?)...this is Ektachrome reversal...

Dropping only one stock while adding three is probably not realistic.

I'd say swapping the two Ektachrome's is a good idea, then choose between the V2 50D or the V2 100T.

That's a tough call, I think I'd rather have the 50D, but the 100 T gives one a better choice for indoors and with use of an 85 filter becomes a relatively low ASA negative outdoor option. Tough choice.

Why doesn't Kodak partner with an outside vendor who can financially commit the amount of money needed to do the minium run of cartridges? Is it really more than 10,000 cartridges? Is it 50,000 cartridges?

Perhaps Kodak is concerned it will harm their 16mm sales OR perhaps the 50D does not have a long enough shelf life.

If we as filmakers can affect the decissions of Kodak then what we have to do to get them to release more stocks? Buy more of Pro8mm stocks? Buy and use more of the existing Kodak stocks? Demand our rights?

Do we have any?

• Premium Member

Look, Kodak is not making much money, if any, from Super-8 -- it's practically a loss-leader for them. You are basically getting what Kodak feels it can cut from their giant production rolls and sell before the stock gets outdated, and the only facts they can believe in are sales figures.

Unfortunately, in 35mm and even Super-16, 500T stock reigns supreme in sales whereas the 50 ASA and 100 ASA stocks are relatively low sellers, whereas of course, in Super-8 those stocks would be ideal... but you're not benefitting from their success in 35mm.

A company like Kodak listens to customers, but obviously those spending more money (like studios) have a louder voice.

The problem with introducing more stocks to the same-sized customer base is that the sales for each individual stock would be smaller, so their profits will drop even more because they'll have to manufacture, package, and warehouse more types of stocks but not sell any more total. Unfortunately this isn't a print on demand business. It probably used to be easier to put out different Super-8 films when production rolls were less wide (I'm guessing on that) but on the other hand, we actually have MORE Super-8 stocks now on the market from Kodak than we did in the 1960's when Super-8 was in its heydey.

As it is, Kodak has been clearing out low-usage stocks in the 35mm and 16mm line in order to be more profitable. I think a more likely scenario would be to replace 64T with 100D, but then some people would complain since Super-8 cameras were designed, filter-wise & notch-wise, around tungsten 40T and 160T stocks mainly.

The differences in daylight between 100T and 200T are minmal... there is no reason for both to exist in S8, 50D and 200T make a lot more sense. I think my list is the most practical for pros and amatures. 3 color negs with a wide range of ASA, 50, 200, 500. 1 color reversal (100D) and 1 B&W reversal (tri X). there you go, 5 films for perfection. 6 if they want to keep Plus X. Super 8 may not be the most profitable for Kodak, but almost every major film maker I read about started in S8, and is now responsible for millions of dollars in 35mm consumtion.

Hello All,

First off, the aim of this post is not to offend anyone, but a lot of creative people on this board really have no clue when it comes to the world of business (of course, this could be seen as a very good thing).

I have worked in some large corportations (not related to filmmaking) and while I haven't made any big decisions I have seen the corporate mind and thinking first hand.

First off, if you don't know, I need to tell you that we have some real angels who are watching our back when it comes to film at Kodak. Because I would bet my next paycheck that when the President of Kodak listens to the ideas of the major stockholders I'm sure they are asking why Kodak is making "any" film let alone Super-8. I'm sure they want Kodak to be 100% digital ASAP.

So, to those angels at Kodak, keep going to bat for us. There are many of us who know you men and women are doing your best to keep film alive.

I'm always amazed that there are still parts of Kodak that care so much about the film industry. Because, in case you haven't noticed, Kodak in Rochester use to employ 60,000 people. Last I heard they were down to 15,000.

One Kodak customer that wants to say THANK YOU to those men and women that keep film alive at Kodak.

Mike

Perhaps if Kodak cuts a one-time deal with a handful of dealers and select pre-order customers, they may get a large enough push to help justify the initial release of 50D and 100D. After that, it will be up to the shooters to keep it going... or not.

Surely, if the goal of Kodak is to entice production newbies into becoming hard core film buffs, they should put out their best, most beautiful films that can really deliver the goods in an undersized format. Without question this is the 50D (from their negative family) and 100D (from their reversal family). Grainless, sharp and colorful with the look of film! Thats what all super 8 users really want in the end. Considering the obvious, there is no question that these two films would be among the "best sellers" of the super 8 family!

If a single stock must be sacrificed for 2 new films, I would do away with 64T. It would be great PR for Kodak to finally say it is offering two new films for the sacrifice of one. It would also provide film shooters with the confidence that film is here to stay. I truly think it would be in Kodak's best interest to challenge the negative tide of thinking that film is doomed. What could be a better message than releasing more cutting edge films for super 8 with some positive promotion mixed in. ;)

• Premium Member
Perhaps if Kodak cuts a one-time deal with a handful of dealers and select pre-order customers,

And who is going to organize this drive, store by store, customer by customer? It isn't just going to happen on its own... How many independent dealers of Super-8 negative stock are there anyway?