NIkon R10

wiz casparian

Hi, I'm very new to super8, but I stumbled upon a Nikon R10 for $15. Took it home slapped some new batteries, and wow the zoom works and the film advance also works. A few questions here: are these beautifull machines that cheap, I mean I would have been happy to have it even if the mechanics are not quite right! My next question is: where can I get hold of the manual... and my last question is: I hear that most of theae cameras come with a light meter. How do I operate it on this camera to know whether its working or not and can I actually do that without actaully loading a film in.... thanks in advance to anyone who help with their insight.

Wiz

Hi, I'm very new to super8, but I stumbled upon a Nikon R10 for $15. Took it home slapped some new batteries, and wow the zoom works and the film advance also works. A few questions here: are these beautifull machines that cheap, I mean I would have been happy to have it even if the mechanics are not quite right! My next question is: where can I get hold of the manual... and my last question is: I hear that most of theae cameras come with a light meter. How do I operate it on this camera to know whether its working or not and can I actually do that without actaully loading a film in.... thanks in advance to anyone who help with their insight.

Wiz

Hello wiz,

Richard here in Australia. I have just scaned a copy of the R10 manual for a customer of mine (i run a 64t ektachrome super8 processing service here in Aus). I made a spare copy on disk for someone like you. Send me your address in a PM (or email me - nanolab@iprimus.com.au) and I'll post you a cd of the file.

That is a rediculous price for an R10 by the way - they are a highly regarded camera. You could have been happy paying 150 or 200 for a working but not necesarily serviced R10. Lucky!

Regards,

Richard

• Premium Member

It's a great camera... If not the best all-around super 8 camera ever made. It is very easy to use... I paid 250.00 for mine. The value of your camera will surely go up from $15.00. It's probably worth between 400.00 and $600.00... I wouldn't sell mine for $600.00

Steve

Hello wiz,

Richard here in Australia. I have just scaned a copy of the R10 manual for a customer of mine (i run a 64t ektachrome super8 processing service here in Aus). I made a spare copy on disk for someone like you. Send me your address in a PM (or email me - nanolab@iprimus.com.au) and I'll post you a cd of the file.

That is a rediculous price for an R10 by the way - they are a highly regarded camera. You could have been happy paying 150 or 200 for a working but not necesarily serviced R10. Lucky!

Regards,

Richard

Thank you very much for your quick reply. My email is wiz.casparian@gmail.com. Your help is greatly appreciated.

wiz

I paid $500 for my first one, shot a feature with it, sold it, and missed it so much I bought another one!

You lucked out. Those simply do not EVER go for that cheap, so you are one lucky dude!

MP

A bit off topic but Is there anyone who lives perhaps in the Tampa bay area or Florida that can lead me to where I can buy some film for this baby....Any thought about diderences in film pricing and development will be more than wecome. I need to get this baby on the road to find out if its mechanically sound or did I spend my $15 in vain ( :D )....... ;)

Wow, great find for $15. I thought I got a steal on my r8, I paid $250 for one on ebay that was virtually new.

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but does anyone know if these Nikon r8/10's can still be serviced or repaired professionally?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Wow, great find for $15. I thought I got a steal on my r8, I paid $250 for one on ebay that was virtually new.

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but does anyone know if these Nikon r8/10's can still be serviced or repaired professionally?

Thanks.

I bought an R8 a couple years ago for $85, a fair price at the time. As for repair, you can get them serviced by professionals, yes, but you will pay professional prices for their time. You'd be better off learning how to service the camera yourself, or buying another one.