Higher end lighting equipment

Hello all,

I am quite familiar with the lower end range of lighting equipment, 5K HMIs, kinos, tungstens etc. Reading some AC mags I would like to know what other lights are out there and what, and why they are used.

Example, maxibrutes, Moleinos, Xenons.

Is there a site that list the range of fixtures utilized and their dynamics?

Thanks,

Graeme

Hello all,

I am quite familiar with the lower end range of lighting equipment, 5K HMIs, kinos, tungstens etc. Reading some AC mags I would like to know what other lights are out there and what, and why they are used.

i've never seen a 5kw hmi ...

i've never seen a 5kw hmi ...

You're right--I don't know if they make a 5Kw HMI...

There are 4Kw and 6Kw HMIs but I've never worked with a 5Kw HMI...

Hmm someone could enlighten us please...?

Eitherways if there is a 5kw HMI I'm sure it would look like a 6kw HMI...

Which looks like a 1200 HMI only bigger...

• Premium Member
Hello all,

Thanks,

Graeme

You mgiht consider picking up Harry Box's book "The Set Lighting Technicians' Handbook" It's pretty mcuh the go-to book about lighting and has a ton of discussion of specific units, their characteristics, and uses.

Hello all,

Thanks,

Graeme

basically lighting remains the same in terms of where you would put units, however as your jobs get bigger, your sets will get bigger and you'll need larger units. That willl be the case when you start using 20ks instead of 5 ks, Maxibrutes instead of mini brutes, and dino lights instead of 10k's

Maxibrute consist of 9 1k par lamps. Some put in 1200 w firestaters.

There is also 12 light maxi's which have 12 1k pars or 1.2k firestarters.

Dino lights have 24 1k pars and super dinos have 36. When these lights are in a lift far away from your set the appear to be one source.

FYI there is also a wendy light which consists of 4 panels of 49 650 watt bulbs (usually the fcx version bulb with the terminal screws - I forget the code) so you'll have 196 650w bulbs total.

About a 1000 amps of light.

Xenons are daylight balance search lights that come in several versions up to 8k I believe. They offer a very focasable beam. You can typically see them as helicopter search lights but those may be only 2k versions. Thay can be a great highly intense focasable beams, but they can be problematic on a set and you can easily see the arc flutter.

Another good light to know is a beam projector which is basically a tungsten version of a xenon. a very focused beam of light. Comes in a 2k,5k,10k and I think a 20k.

Musco lights are great but there is competition. Musco offers a truck that has 6 6k pars or a truck that has 15 6k pars. BeeBee Lights offers a all in one unit that is similiar to Musco and one that has three remote controlled 18k's. There is also a company in Canada that has a great musco light like truck that can be switched from HMI to tungsten bulbs fairly easily. I just forget the name off hand. They have a great design.

Best

Hope this helps

Tim

Excellent descriptions there Tim. Thanks. Question though - Are the firestarter globes you mentioned in the maxi-brutes daylight balenced HMI?

basically lighting remains the same in terms of where you would put units, however as your jobs get bigger, your sets will get bigger and you'll need larger units. That willl be the case when you start using 20ks instead of 5 ks, Maxibrutes instead of mini brutes, and dino lights instead of 10k's

Maxibrute consist of 9 1k par lamps. Some put in 1200 w firestaters.

There is also 12 light maxi's which have 12 1k pars or 1.2k firestarters.

Dino lights have 24 1k pars and super dinos have 36. When these lights are in a lift far away from your set the appear to be one source.

FYI there is also a wendy light which consists of 4 panels of 49 650 watt bulbs (usually the fcx version bulb with the terminal screws - I forget the code) so you'll have 196 650w bulbs total.

About a 1000 amps of light.

Xenons are daylight balance search lights that come in several versions up to 8k I believe. They offer a very focasable beam. You can typically see them as helicopter search lights but those may be only 2k versions. Thay can be a great highly intense focasable beams, but they can be problematic on a set and you can easily see the arc flutter.

Another good light to know is a beam projector which is basically a tungsten version of a xenon. a very focused beam of light. Comes in a 2k,5k,10k and I think a 20k.

Musco lights are great but there is competition. Musco offers a truck that has 6 6k pars or a truck that has 15 6k pars. BeeBee Lights offers a all in one unit that is similiar to Musco and one that has three remote controlled 18k's. There is also a company in Canada that has a great musco light like truck that can be switched from HMI to tungsten bulbs fairly easily. I just forget the name off hand. They have a great design.

Best

Hope this helps

Tim

• Premium Member
Excellent descriptions there Tim. Thanks. Question though - Are the firestarter globes you mentioned in the maxi-brutes daylight balenced HMI?

No, the PAR 64 globes used in MaxiBrutes are tungsten. You can get 1K Narrow Spot (NSP) and Medium Flood (MFL) globes with a dichroic coating that brings the color temperature up to 5200K, but the coating fades with age. The VNSP (Very Narrow Spot) "firestarter" globes only come in tungsten, I guess because they would burn off the coating too fast otherwise.

Also one light that comes to mind that I forgot to mention is the ruby seven which can take 7 par 64 bulbs. The thing that makes this light a little different is that it is focusable. it doesn't have banks like 9 light fays or maxibrutes. You can put in seven 1200 vnsp's and you can focus all the bulbs on one spot if you want. In a test a few years ago I think it was brighter than a 6k par HMI with vnsp's with color on it. You can also flood it out and it will have a liittle inherent breakup in the light spread.

best

Tim