High rental fees

Arni Heimir

• Premium Member

Hi,

The sarcastic in me wants to say you're paying for the flight cases - Panavision gear comes with a separate gold-plated box for every nut bolt and screw, mainly to give over-large IATSE crews something to do with their otherwise unfilled hours.

However I suspect you're probably comparing incomparable gear. I don't know much about Panavision kit, for the aforementioned reason, but I suspect like Arri they have "really whizzy expensive cameras" and "really ancient boat-anchors" just like anyone else. Be sure you're not comparing whizzy to anchor.

Phil

• Premium Member

Here in Los Angeles, Panavision and Arri are about the same: at the low end are the Panaflex Gold and GII versus and Arri-BL3, BL4, BL-Evolution, then the mid-range is the Panaflex Platinum versus an Arri-535B, and then at the higher-end is a Panaflex Millenium versus an Arricam ST.

So you have to compare apples to apples, not a Panaflex Millenium versus an Arri-BL4.

Truth is that when the productions I shoot send out bids, Panavision usually comes in cheaper.

The sarcastic in me wants to say you're paying for the flight cases - Panavision gear comes with a separate gold-plated box for every nut bolt and screw, mainly to give over-large IATSE crews something to do with their otherwise unfilled hours.

Phil

I once had the pleasure of speaking with a cinematographer Remi Adefarasin and I asked him which brand he goes for, Arri or Panavision. "Being a European I tend to go for less maintenance: Arriflex" So, know I understand what you are referring to.

I saw that a panavision outlet rents out a Arricam St for 2300 a day but a Panavsion XL for 3500 a day.

• Premium Member
I once had the pleasure of speaking with a cinematographer Remi Adefarasin and I asked him which brand he goes for, Arri or Panavision. "Being a European I tend to go for less maintenance: Arriflex" So, know I understand what you are referring to.

I saw that a panavision outlet rents out a Arricam St for 2300 a day but a Panavsion XL for 3500 a day.

Panavision comes in more bits and pieces, more cases, etc. When I was doing small features with small, inexperienced crews, I felt a little safer with an Arri-BL4 for them to handle, but it doesn't make much of a difference if you have experienced AC's.

The Arricam LT is more the equivalent of a Panaflex XL.

• Premium Member

Which countries did your quotes come from?

Arri Rental (Germany) give much better deals than Panavision or any other rental company in France for instance, hence why in Luxembourg we always go with Arri.

What I find hilarious is that Panavision Toronto charges in US dollars!!

Not a huge difference today, but still, an extra .14 per dollar is an extra .14 per dollar.

I would love to shoot my next project with a Panavision camera, but mainly so that when I start an "In Production" thread on this forum, people will look at the pics and say "Oooooo he's using Panavision." :)

I guess for now I'll have to stick with my Arri.

R,

It's a myth Panavision costs more. The reason is that , generally, they are so big and have such a large inventory so they can let stuff go out for competitive rates in order to keep their clients happy. Not once in 8 years have they ever not been able to beat or meet another quote for COMPARABLE gear. That being said, I haven't had them compete with anyone else here in LA because I just call them first, knowing they will make it work for me. So my loyalty to them has paid off and they show their appreciation.

Regarding reliability, I've had more problems with Moviecams and 535s (on jobs with camera deals already) than I have had with any Panaflex model. But like David mentioned, the amount of accessories can be slightly daunting for a green assistant.

Frequently on commercials, the production company will give me a audible groan when they ask which camera house I use...usually based on rumors. By the time the job shoots, the PM ALWAYS makes a point...every single time..."tell Panavision thanks..they really helped us out."

I like their gear, but most importantly, I like their people and support. I like knowing I can go anywhere in the world and have support and gear I am used to and can count on.

I'm not sure what it's like with the Panavision agents around the world, but in LA and the rest of US the experience has always been great. I encourage you, if you want to give them a try, to call and introduce yourself and see if they can help you out.

Oh and printed "catalogue" rates mean nothing.

I second that notion. Panavision always works with you, they even give you cameras for free or near free. They give you what's available or what they can, but what really impresses me about Panavision is that they care about you and your liking their equipment. I can't tell you how many times I've had a problem with a camera, something non-panavision, and the rental house tries to tell me its operator error. Without even seeing the camera they'll try and say that there's no way its a problem with their camera. That's not a shot at Arri or moviecam or any other camera because they are quite fine, but you can rely on Panavision to believe you and do whatever they can to fix the problem. That's my two cents worth anyway.

Travis

• Premium Member

All I can say is that the experience of Panavision in the US is very different from the one in Europe then. Here the price and service Arri Rental offers is unbeatable. I've had quotes where Panavision in Paris was 5 times more expensive than Arri.

Well, c'mon, is it any real secret that Panavision outside the US exists to service American productions shooting on location?

....mainly to give over-large IATSE crews something to do with their otherwise unfilled hours.

You know, Phil, we finally met and I was only partially surprised to learn you're basically a really nice guy. And since you're working for Geoff Boyle, you obviously have knowledge and skill, because Geoff wouldn't settle for less. But your rampant, incessant anti Americanism here needs to stop. I know you revel in the sarcasm, but insulting American crews and American companies - repeatedly - does nothing to add to this or any other discussion.

Knock it off.

"But your rampant, incessant anti Americanism here needs to stop. I know you revel in the sarcasm, but insulting American crews and American companies - repeatedly - does nothing to add to this or any other discussion."

Yeah Phil! And besides rampant, incessant anti Americanism is the job of Canadians!! We have to live next door to them, you're on the other side of the Atlantic, you have nothing to complain about :)

R,

What I find hilarious is that Panavision Toronto charges in US dollars!!

Not a huge difference today, but still, an extra .14 per dollar is an extra .14 per dollar.

I would love to shoot my next project with a Panavision camera, but mainly so that when I start an "In Production" thread on this forum, people will look at the pics and say "Oooooo he's using Panavision." :)

I guess for now I'll have to stick with my Arri.

R,

They Only charge American Dollars on the actual Panaflex cameras, because they are owned by a private U.S. Company, whereas Panavision Toronto owns the Arri's which they bought from Whites, and they charge in canadian for those. But generally in Toronto Panavision is the best house. I find they are often substantially cheaper than Production Services, or Clairmont.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Stephen Whitehead

Guest Stephen Murphy
All I can say is that the experience of Panavision in the US is very different from the one in Europe then.

I couldnt agree more. The service from Panavision in Europe is the total opposite from the Service Woodland hills gives. The PV gear in Europe tends to be poorly maintained whereas Arri's cameras usually come with that "just been painted" smell.

Although in fairness to PV i would be surprised to find that there is much of a difference between a full feature package of Arri St's/Lt's/Cookes and PV Milleniums/XL's/Primos.

Richard,

What currency does Canada's premier stock footage company quote in? Are they not just following your business play?

Stephen

Touche!

R,

PS: We ship world wide though from one location.

I love Panavision because they played along when I sent a green P.A. to the valley for a bag of f-stops, and they sent back an envelope marked "Camera Deparment! Urgent!" that was full of Panavision keychains and other doodads - hard to find that kind of customer service anywhere. . .

Oh yah, and they are American, so they have that going for them)

• Premium Member
Hi,

Well, c'mon, is it any real secret that Panavision outside the US exists to service American productions shooting on location?

Phil

The thing is, when you write things like this, "Panavision gear comes with a separate gold-plated box for every nut bolt and screw, mainly to give over-large IATSE crews something to do with their otherwise unfilled hours" it makes us (IATSE crew members that work our asses off) understand why you don't get any good work and always have to bitch and moan about it. It also helps us understand why you'll probably never move up in the business and realize your dreams.

Oh, I'm just kidding...

• Premium Member

Hi,

Oh, okay.

The point I was trying to make, if you still haven't quite got there, is that if Panavision gear was a little less labour-intensive, maybe your asses wouldn't be quite so worked off.

Phil

• Premium Member

As far as I know Michael Ballhaus owns both an Arricam ST and an LT.

One price I was told once was on a feature that I worked on. We had an ST, an LT, a full set of Ultra Primes and the 17-80mm Optimo zoom and all the accessories for 8000 Euros a week.

If you want a good deal on a camera, better go for an older model, such as a 535 or a Platinum. These cameras have returned their investements many times over already and rental companies are much more willing to give you a good deal on them. If I had the choice, I'd rather take top lenses and an older camera than the other way around.