please critique my reel

I figured I would post here as well as in the reel section to give this some exposure. I just finished a first cut for my reel and wanted to get some feedback. I am getting more footage of some films that I shot recently and many of the shots will probably be incorporated into the reel in place of some of the lesser shots currently here. Just wanted to get some feedback from you all and see if I am on the right track here.

Thanks

Edited by Chris Pritzlaff

Hi,

I just noticed that you mispelt 'Cinematographer' on the opening credits...

Watching your reel I felt that maybe you repeated some of the scenes too much e.g. the fight with death sequence. After a while it feels like you are repeating stuff because you ran out of material.

I would suggest that it is better to have a shorter and sweeter reel rather than a longer one that rehashes material too often.

I liked the soldier sequences as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Morgan's got it right - you repeat yourself too much.

I think your problem is that you had too much fun editing. I don't blame you, the action's interesting and the music is great.

But you really - REALLY need to slice this thing way way down. Don't repeat yourself at all - take out any shot that you have ANY doubts or misgivings about. Include only your absolute best work and none of the mediocre. For example, consider ditching possibly all of your office scenes. Don't include something just for the sake of variety.

You have the material for a decent reel, but you're not there yet. It should be incredibly short and engaging. This one wears out its welcome.

Otherwise kudos.

I just looked at the reel on a different computer. The quality of the images is horrible. Colors seemed blocked up and the resolution is almost unwatchable. Appologies to anyone who is trying to look at this. Critiques I see would be very difficult when the images are not shown at their true resolution.

I will see if I can find a way of posting this elsewhere at a higher resolution. Any recomendations on how to do that?

Guest C.L. Washington Jr.

Good job....a little long, but great work. Godspeed and keep up the excellent work!!

C.L.

It's Too long, and very static untill the end. Even when your going "hand held" you dont move around very much. Take out the Dubble and tripples and for gods sake, Tighten up the intro! I love to start with an Audio cue, but your takes WAY to long to get going and when I finally do see something, the "payoff" is just a title card? Cut it, cut it to the Bone and you will thank me. (as apposed to hateing me now)

Guest Kirk Productions

Chris,

I saw your comment below about horrible images but honestly, I thought it was very clear and looked quite well. I would go a notch below some of the others on "too much". There defintely could be some parts cut and I am as guilty as you on that. :) I did however, not fully understand where you were going with it unless it was a trailer. If this was a trailer, definitely a tad long. Otherwise, a very moving clip and as a retired soldier myself, I can appreciate your dedication to troops.

Eric

I figured I would post here as well as in the reel section to give this some exposure. I just finished a first cut for my reel and wanted to get some feedback. I am getting more footage of some films that I shot recently and many of the shots will probably be incorporated into the reel in place of some of the lesser shots currently here. Just wanted to get some feedback from you all and see if I am on the right track here.

Thanks