Film stock used in Sympathy For The Devil - Studio Sequences

Kip Kubin

Your thumbnail is the same size as the photo...

When was this shot?

Sorry about the photo... I just pulled it off google images to give everybody a general idea.

The film was shot in 1968 in London.

Thanks

Kip

I found a better photo... here it is

post-12356-1154892207.jpg

• Premium Member
It would have been Eastman 7254 ,100 asa . john holland.

Was it a 16mm shoot? Since '54 came out in 1968 and the movie was released in 1968, it may have been shot in 1967, which means '51 (50 ASA color neg) or one of the color reversal films. If it was shot in 35mm, odds are high that it was color neg; 16mm color back then was a mix of neg and reversal, reversal being more popular in the U.S., neg starting to become common in Europe.

Was it a 16mm shoot? Since '54 came out in 1968 and the movie was released in 1968, it may have been shot in 1967, which means '51 (50 ASA color neg) or one of the color reversal films. If it was shot in 35mm, odds are high that it was color neg; 16mm color back then was a mix of neg and reversal, reversal being more popular in the U.S., neg starting to become common in Europe.

Thanks guys

Could either of you suggest a stock/methos to get close to this look with available stock today?

Kip Kubin

Yes it was 16mm NPRs used ,and neg , may have been '51 .john.

Hi, well i watched the dvd ( free with a uk sunday paper) it dont look like 16mm to me. Far too sharp. Surely it was 35mm? If it was 16mm, why does the majority of 16mm look so soft from the same era?

Andy

• Premium Member

I'd overexpose and print down (or color-correct down to normal) a low-con neg stock like Kodak '29 or Fuji Eterna 400T if shooting in 16mm -- but in 35mm, I'd shoot either of those two stocks normally but push them one-stop and then print / correct back down.

I'd find older lenses too because that contributes a lot to the look.

The stocks and lenses were softer back then but often (though not in this case) the lighting was harder, sharper to compensate somewhat. The zoom lenses of the 1960's in particular were not that sharp. Plus you may also be looking at an older transfer.

Just saw some of "Equinox" on Criterion DVD, a low-budget 16mm horror film shot outdoors mostly, with stop-motion efx by a very young Dennis Muren, David Allen, and Jim Danforth. It was interesting to see the look of the stocks and lenses back then transferred on a modern telecine.