Fuji 35mm B&W, where to purchase it??

Hi,

I would like to make some tests using Fuji B&W motion picture film. The trouble is I can't find out where to purchase any!

Can anyone recommend where to purchase some?

I realise that I can buy 100' of Fuji Neopan for still photography however the perforations are different from motion picture film.

Any recommendations?

Thanks From,

Henry.

Hi,

I would like to make some tests using Fuji B&W motion picture film. The trouble is I can't find out where to purchase any!

Can anyone recommend where to purchase some?

I realise that I can buy 100' of Fuji Neopan for still photography however the perforations are different from motion picture film.

Any recommendations?

Thanks From,

Henry.

The still photography film have KS perforation, You can use any 35 mm cine camera with one transport pin, similar Konvas, Arri 2C, or any russian 35 mm cine camera with registration pin ( Kinor-35S, H, Drugba, Rodina, KSK, SKL )

The russian cameras compatible with 35 mm film with KS perforation.

The still photography film have KS perforation, You can use any 35 mm cine camera with one transport pin, similar Konvas, Arri 2C, or any russian 35 mm cine camera with registration pin ( Kinor-35S, H, Drugba, Rodina, KSK, SKL )

The russian cameras compatible with 35 mm film with KS perforation.

Hi Olex,

Thanks for your reply.

I would prefer the proper perforation (BH) as I don't want to complicate post processing. I suspect that it may create some difficulties in printing/telecine/scanning if I were to use the KH perf.

If I can't find a source of B&W motion picture Fuji I may resort to the still version.

Henry.

• Premium Member
Hi Olex,

Thanks for your reply.

I would prefer the proper perforation (BH) as I don't want to complicate post processing. I suspect that it may create some difficulties in printing/telecine/scanning if I were to use the KH perf.

If I can't find a source of B&W motion picture Fuji I may resort to the still version.

Henry.

What characteristic are you looking for that the Kodak 5231 or 5222 don't offer? Remember, most labs offer the ability to change processing conditions to optimize contrast for the "look" you want:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products....4.10&lc=en

• Premium Member

Way back on my first feature in 1992, I looked into 35mm Fuji b&w motion picture film. It only came in 400' loads at the time and they have since stopped selling it, I believe, unless it is only as a large special order deal.

The other alternative to Kodak was Illford, but I think they also got out of the b&w motion picture business.

That leaves Kodak... and maybe Orwo, I don't recall.

At first, you need seek a processing lab with B&W negative machine.

You can check ORWO UN54 and N74

http://www.filmotec.de/English_Site/Produc..._e/un_54_e.html

You tell about telecine and scanning ( digital post production ).

You can use color negative film and transfer to B&W at post production.

You will have more wide choose of type of films ( Kodak : EXR, Vision, Vision-2, Vision-2 Expression , Fuji )

It would help if you tell us where you are located.

I don't know do they sell it in the US. I guess it just depends where you live. Perhaps the volume of sale is big enough around here, because you don't have to make a special order, even though it is a special order product. It comes in 400' and 1000' and is called Fuji FG 71112 80D/64T.

It would help if you tell us where you are located.

I don't know do they sell it in the US. I guess it just depends where you live. Perhaps the volume of sale is big enough around here, because you don't have to make a special order, even though it is a special order product. It comes in 400' and 1000' and is called Fuji FG 71112 80D/64T.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I am located in Australia. I have called my local Fuji rep and they told me that they only sell the color negative stock. (They have a great range of color though and sent me a lot of useful data on their color stock).

From my reading there are a number of other B&W films that still seem to be around.

-Kodak (of course)

-Agfa (designed for still photography and only available from what I can tell in 100' rolls, KH Perf)

-Orwo (Several options)

-Lucky (A Chinese manufacturer, http://www.luckyfilm.com/eng/products_2_1.html )

-Foma (Several options)

-Ilford Delta (designed for still photography and only available from what I can tell in 100' rolls,KH perf)

...and there are some others eg Forte, Svema, Rollei, Maco etc

I am interested in trying the Fuji as their Neopan film appears to be well regarded in the stills world for its fine grain. It does seem to be hard to purchase though! Any recommendations on where to purchase some would be well received.

Thanks From,

Henry.

It does seem to be hard to purchase though! Any recommendations on where to purchase some would be well received.

Maybe you could order it from Japan and have it shipped to you.

It's listed here http://fujifilm.jp/business/broadcastcinem...g/fg/index.html

I have only used the 16mm version of it, RP 72161, but I didn't have any problems to get it from the local dealer here in Europe. That was some time ago, but they still list it in their catalog.

Good luck.

• Premium Member
-Kodak (of course)

-Agfa (designed for still photography and only available from what I can tell in 100' rolls, KH Perf)

-Orwo (Several options)

-Lucky (A Chinese manufacturer, http://www.luckyfilm.com/eng/products_2_1.html )

-Foma (Several options)

-Ilford Delta (designed for still photography and only available from what I can tell in 100' rolls,KH perf)

...and there are some others eg Forte, Svema, Rollei, Maco etc

Agfa sold their "photography" business to a company called agfaphoto who did not survive becasue of the brutial digital camera market. They still make their "pro" products microfilm, and MP print film (they basicaly only make polyester base film now)

ORWO (filmtec.de) Does make B&W MP film, leaders and such. (not sure if they buy from someone or actually coat it themselves) Company is a start up who bought name when ORWO (original Wolfen) was shut down by Agfa after german reunification.

Lucky - Have heard of them, from the lenths in the page thay may indeed be inteding that as MP film.

Foma, I have only seen there B&W reversal as 16mm MP film, it is good. Don't know if they supply their other products as MP film, thay probaly would if the quanity was good. 100000 ft?

ILFORD - Last I heard the manigment bought out the company and was making small qty. They disconinued MP film a few years back, but probaly would run a batch off if you want a 100000 ft.

The fuji b&W is sold in some comtries, but then you have to import it without it getting zapped in transit.

Not sure if the other east european folks are still arround - Forte, Efke.. The ukranians were suposed to be trying to salvage something out of CEMBA but film is probaly not a good thing to start up at this late stage.

You are right to be caustious about using Still film in a movie camera, Might get away of you are scanning rather than printing, but in that case you might find it a whole lot easier to shoot ECN and get it converted to B7W in the scanning/editing. If printing you might get unsharpness as the Still stuf is normaly 1870 rather then 1866 Perf spacing.