Super 8 in a digital age

Giles Perkins

As a bunch of Super 8 filmmakers combining S8 and digi-video, we were

having real trouble quickly finding relevant information and resources

for those combining small gauge film and DV techniques. Hence this new

site...

www.onsuper8.org

It provides up to date links and information relevant to today's

digi-Super 8er's, have a look and let us know what you think.....

we're updating constantly so any inputs are obviously welcome.

Giles

www.onsuper8.org

Super 8 is forty in 2005, what will you be doing to celebrate?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

And the average "life" of any new video or digital format is?... :rolleyes:

What video recording formats from 1963 (when Kodak introduced Super-8) are still used for production today? How long have they been "dead"?

Kodak and the future:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/...v2/sehlin.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/16mm/why....1.4.3.14&lc=en

How is it dying? New film stocks are on the market. More labs to handle it. Cameras still arrive thanks to Wittner. New methods of shooting with it, such as Super-Duper 8's new wider-gate Super8. New methods of recording sound.

Frankly, I don't see anything about it dying off anytime soon. It's been over 10 years since Kodak "Killed" Regular 8, yet people still shoot the stuff.

• Premium Member

Pete is crossing the line when he goes beyond promoting his personal pro-digital agenda and enters a Super-8 users forum and starts putting down other people's chosen interest. He's crossing the line when he goes beyond discussing current digital technology to start calling film people "paranoid" or constantly proclaiming that film is dying, the writing is on the wall, etc.

I think Pete is Ultra Definition, Juko Jukozami, etc.

I don't think he can help himself -- it isn't enough for him to have all this digital technology coming out for him to use if it doesn't kill film along with it. I don't get it -- the world is big enough for both, for every film and digital format, big and small.

• Premium Member

Not completely accurate... if it sits on a shelf, it "exists" without electricity -- it just can't be viewed without electricity.

Not sure if any of that matters; if electricity ceases to exist, we've got a lot more things to worry about than whether we can look at some digital tapes sitting on a shelf! But I suppose if we revert to being cavemen sitting around a fire, we'll still be able to hold a print of "2001" up to the firelight and wonder what that movie was all about.

I'm fairly new to super 8 but fell in love with it very quickly.

I don't want to sound lame but I think super 8 has a magic that digital doesn't have. I made a few super 8 films over the summer and it just felt right. When I went back to my digital camera I found that I was making the "chuk chuk chuk" noise of a super 8 through the entire video.

When super 8 was invented people would watched their home movies and think how much cooler it could be with better quality sound and color. But in an age of high definition super 8 has become an artistic choice. Just because Painter is a fantastic computer program doesn't mean that painters will stop using paint. That's just the was I look at it.