"river man"

Bill Totolo

• Premium Member

That is definitely one of my all time favorite Nick Drake songs.

I thought you had some pretty shots and I like the parallels and contrasts you draw between nature and man-made engineering.

That said, I felt like it would have benefitted from using a tri-pod. The graphics sprinkled in also seemed unnecessary. Let the pictures and the song make the point.

Thanks for sharing!

Chad

• 4 months later...

Well the shots were really nice,

But there was no creativity....all you were doing was taking shots of things outside and putting music over it. I wouldn't call that a Music Video.

Additionaly, some of the shots were sort of shaky at points.

Over-all though, nice and relaxing....just nothing new :unsure:

• Premium Member

I liked the overall mood of the piece, but I feel that the shakiness is sort of neither here nor there -- in other words, the images are almost pristine enough that they should be more elegantly operated, not handheld... or the opposite, the images should have been grittier (grainier) and thus justified a rougher operating style. I can imagine the same shots being done in Super-8 and having that loose shooting style, for example, but the quality of these images seems to call out for smoother movements.

• Premium Member

... 'Really liked your film, and thought it played well with the track. Nick Drake is often played in our house so it

means a lot to me!..

- Perhaps you could have had a tripod on the beach scene inparticular, and held longer on a few shots here and there, but it's a personal thing with the type of film you've made. Like David I do think it could have looked particularly good on 8mm... The one thing I didn't like was the occasional lyric on screen - I just didn't feel you needed it, the images/cut worked for me on their own merit. It depends on what you want to do with the film but dv or not, you can tell you're a film-maker with an eye for another angle...

- nb - It's refreshing to see a music video with soul and intelligence. Let's face it: commercial pop promos are generally crap and make up for lack of content/meaning with fast cuts and pointlessly moving camera.

Regards,