R.I.P Steve Irwin

Dajan Bozanic

I am not defending slavery, I am pointing out the hypocrisy of self righteous individuals who put down the means but revel in the ends.

Just like the Croc hunter himself. People want to call him crazy and an idiot but many enjoyed sitting down and watching the "idiot" work.

Sorry you're not drawing me back into this one, this hot potato is all yours.

R,

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the hell did a thread In Memoriam to Steve Irwin

Convert into a couple of idiots attacking eachother with internet statistics?

You people are ridiculous and should be ashamed. :angry:

I'm not :o

R,

I saw him standing on the downward slope of a grassy hill that went into the water. In the water was a huge crocodile, only the tip of its snout was visible. Irwin gets closer and closer to the edge, then drops a pebble into the water. The crocodile explodes out of the water, jaws open. Irwin jumps back and escapes in the nick of time. He intentionally threw the pebble into the water to provoke the animal.

R,

Sence when does a crocodile ever need provocation to explode out of the water , hissing with gapping jaws open to chomp anything in it's path into hamburger? It's kinda what they do. Being a child of the 70's and somewhat of a hippie, I never thought I'd ever have occation to use these works but Richard, you really are the posterchild for bleeding-heart liberalism. Don't disturb the incredably visious wild animal, it has rights too you know. :rolleyes: Good God! The number one killer is automobile accidents, so what, we stop driving? The crew of Apollo 13 damn near didn't come back, the crews of Challenger and Columbia didn't come back, so what, we stop going into space? Face it Richie, the WORLD is a very dangerous place from which NO ONE ever makes it out alive and you can bite it at anytime no matter how careful you are so in the end, what difference does it really make? You buy it running down the road at 200MPH or you keel over at 121 from advanced old age, your just as dead eather way. It's not how you die, it's how you live. Steve Irwin did what he WANTED to do with his life and he will be remembered. That's all any man can ask of life, that he left a wake in his passing. I like drag racing. I have no intention of stopping because it MIGHT kill me. I just hope fear never stops you from doing something you want to do because if it does, your not really living. Your just existing and to me and probably to a man like Steve Irwin, that would be much worse than death. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Sence when does a crocodile ever need provocation to explode out of the water , hissing with gapping jaws open to chomp anything in it's path into hamburger? It's kinda what they do.

Ahh.. not really. They only act like that when they are threatened, or when they are hunting. (Crocodiles are ambush hunters... so most of their time is spent waiting quietly.)

Edited by Daniel Sheehy

Ahh.. not really. They only act like that when they are threatened, or when they are hunting. (Crocodiles are ambush hunters... so most of their time is spent waiting quietly.)

Oh yes and that makes them so much more cuddly :rolleyes: Most of their time is spent waiting quietly to tear other creatures to shreds. He DROPPED A PEBBLE INTO THE WATER NEAR IT and it tried to rip he apart. So YES REALLY, they are cold blooded killers that will attack at the slightest "provocation" like being anywhere near them. As I said, That's what they do. B)

Sence when does a crocodile ever need provocation to explode out of the water , hissing with gapping jaws open to chomp anything in it's path into hamburger? It's kinda what they do. Being a child of the 70's and somewhat of a hippie, I never thought I'd ever have occation to use these works but Richard, you really are the posterchild for bleeding-heart liberalism. Don't disturb the incredably visious wild animal, it has rights too you know. :rolleyes: Good God! The number one killer is automobile accidents, so what, we stop driving? The crew of Apollo 13 damn near didn't come back, the crews of Challenger and Columbia didn't come back, so what, we stop going into space? Face it Richie, the WORLD is a very dangerous place from which NO ONE ever makes it out alive and you can bite it at anytime no matter how careful you are so in the end, what difference does it really make? You buy it running down the road at 200MPH or you keel over at 121 from advanced old age, your just as dead eather way. It's not how you die, it's how you live. Steve Irwin did what he WANTED to do with his life and he will be remembered. That's all any man can ask of life, that he left a wake in his passing. I like drag racing. I have no intention of stopping because it MIGHT kill me. I just hope fear never stops you from doing something you want to do because if it does, your not really living. Your just existing and to me and probably to a man like Steve Irwin, that would be much worse than death. B)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah....

This one is over, forget it. Comparing car accidents to provoking crocs is like comparing Adolf Hitler to Mother Theresa.

R,

PS: I'm a pretty hard core conservative. So I've shown a few people your comment about me being a "bleeding-heart liberal", they find that very amusing. So your post has some value after all.

So YES REALLY, they are cold blooded killers that will attack at the slightest "provocation" like being anywhere near them. As I said, That's what they do.

If he had tossed a pebble at it from further away the reaction would have been different, it would probably have ignored him. Note it didn't react simply because he was near it, but because he was near it AND provoked it.

I do give it to the man though, he knew how crocodiles behave.

If he had tossed a pebble at it from further away the reaction would have been different, it would probably have ignored him. Note it didn't react simply because he was near it, but because he was near it AND provoked it.

I do give it to the man though, he knew how crocodiles behave.

So all you have to do to"provoke" a croc is be anywhere near it and do ANYTHING that gets it's attention, inadvertently or not, oh, that make me fell SO much better about them. "If he had tossed a pebble at it from further away...It would PROBABLY ignored him" ? See that's the thing about Crocs, your never sure WHAT'S going to "provoke" them, like being near enough to them for them to GRAB your ass. B)

What?! :blink: I'm confused. Is Mother Theresa car accidents or provoked crocs?

I think you know.

See that's the thing about Crocs, your never sure WHAT'S going to "provoke" them, like being near enough to them for them to GRAB your ass.

Hmmmm, I think you just made a very powerful argument in favour of leaving them alone and not provoking them. You'd better decide what side of the fence you're on here, now you're sounding like me.

R,

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I know, provoking a croc and driving, same risk. Right?

No actually driving is a Hell of a lot more dangerious than being around crocs according to statistics. Here's an idea, maybe you could seal yourself and your family in a giant bio-dome that is completely self contained and no where near civilization so no one can attack you, your food and water would be perfectly safe and no harm could ever come to you, but damn, then there's still that pesky dying of old age thing to deal with. DAMN dude, I can't see any way out of it, YOU GOING TO DIE! Bummer. I personally wouldn't want to be anywhere near a croc, but who the hell an I to tell another man HE shouldn't screw with them especially if he knows the risk. Corcodiles are more than capible of defending themselves against an un-armed man as are all other wild animals. That's kinda what nature does, gives animals the tools they need to survive. Hunting restrictions and poaching laws protect them from armed men so what do I care if some naturalist wants to drop a pebble near a hungry croc. If he gets his ass bitten off, that's on him. I personally don't thnk skydiving, bull riding or swimming with great white sharks even inside a cage is a particularly smart thing to do . But who am I to tell a man who does that, he's an idiot for doing it. That man is doing what he wants to do and if he dies because of equipment failure in his scuba gear or because his arm is bitten off in a moment of lapsed focus, then that's also on him. He was doing what HE wanted to do. There are NO guarentees in life EXCEPT that your going to die, so one might as well develop a philosophy about it, and Steve's was live life until you die. I admire that, but then again, that's just me. B)

There are NO guarentees in life EXCEPT that your going to die, so one might as well develop a philosophy about it, and Steve's was live life until you die. I admire that, but then again, that's just me. B)

You know I see your point, I won't argue with you.

I'm shooting up with a huge dose of heroin right now, then I'm going to run off the edge of a cliff, expecting I can fly of course.

R,

• Premium Member
I'm shooting up with a huge dose of heroin right now, then I'm going to run off the edge of a cliff, expecting I can fly of course.

It sounds like you're planning on hitting the ground with a smack.

Edited by D. Goulder

It sounds like you're planning on hitting the ground with a smack.

Well it's no more dangerous than driving, plus I'll be living my life to the fullest.

R,

• Premium Member

I've done a few risky things in my life, have a bad shoulder to show for it, and wouldn't change a thing.

Okay, one thing: I could have chosen my women more carefully (married six times to five different wives).

Okay, two things: Gotten sober ten years earlier.

Okay, three things: Taken the job offer to become John Cage's Electronicist (His term, not mine).

Okay, four things: Taken up my friend Paul Butterfield on his offer to work crew for him at a "big music festival in Upstate New York" - later to become known as Woodstock.

Yeah, heck, life's no fun without doing risky things. I enjoy collecting tales of the crazy things that have happened to me, no doubt it was the same for steve irwin. Like the time I accidently injected myself with a Vietnam-era French atropine autoinjector, used to counteract neurotoxins in warfare. (true story.) Or the time I got to ride cuffed in the back of a cop car. (I was later exonerated.) Or the time I devised a bomb out of a coke-can, whose flame reached seven feet in the air and ignited my leg. (i've got it on tape.) Like Hal said, I wouldn't do a single thing differently. Those stories are too dear to me.