Lenses for Bolex Bayonet mount

jacob thomas

I've been looking at getting a bayonet mount Bolex h16 (SB/SBM/EBM/EL) and can't find much information on using "C mount" and other lenses via an adapter (arri standard, nikon, etc).

The bolex EL manual doesn't mention any of the problems that occur in using non RX lenses on RX cameras.

Were the prisms in the later Bolexes somehow corrected for non RX lenses?

Edited by Jacob Thomas

I've been looking at getting a bayonet mount Bolex h16 (SB/SBM/EBM/EL) and can't find much information on using "C mount" and other lenses via an adapter (arri standard, nikon, etc).

The bolex EL manual doesn't mention any of the problems that occur in using non RX lenses on RX cameras.

Were the prisms in the later Bolexes somehow corrected for non RX lenses?

Any c-mount lens will need to be recollimated to RX specs. Try Dieter at Procam. 35mm lenses used with a c-mount to bayonet adapter are fine, but I'm not 100% sure about Arri adatpers.

i use a bayonet to nikon convertor supplied by les bosher ( £85) and it allows me to use some fast nikkor lenses on my super 16 ebm. just have to take the adjusted shutter speed when metering (1/60). the results are very impressive compared to the angenieux zoom so i recommend the set up.

Guest shutter bug

i suggest browsing for clive tobins responses on this topic and read the bolex document in this issue. technically it needs corrected lenses for the prism. as far as i know collimation is not needed as long as the lens is set at c mount specs already.you can apparently get away with shooting with non RX lenses from F4 and up. any less and youll get colour abberations. id suggest getting what i have, a set of the latest bolex preset lenses with multicoating.pm me if you want more info on them.