I've had an idea

Matthew Buick

"anamorphic is a 35mm format"

"full width ds8 is the same as 16mm"

"the lens wouldn't cover the film"

wow. extremely well informed and helpful people on this board. :-)

anwyay, the easiest way of testing this technique if going to video is to mask half the gate in a 16mm camera horizontally, shoot a roll of double perf film, flip it over, shoot again, then do the same in telecine. for those of you asking for the point, besides being a fun experiment, if you're shooting 2.35:1 it also saves 50% on film and processing compared to cropped 16mm or super-16. telecine costs will be slightly higher though since you have to set up the masking and flip the rolls over. not more than a few bucks though.

/matt

actually i have seen footage shot this way at waaghäusl in germany, it was an swiss guy I think, that had modyfied his Bolex DS8 kamera, and of course also his Projector (actually the projectorproblem is thmore difficult to resolve because there are no DS8 projectors you could modyfie, but you have to modyfie an 16mm projector, and there perforation is different.

the footage he showed was very nice.

unfortunately i don't remember who it was, but I think it was at waaghäusl in in 2002.

daniel

"anamorphic is a 35mm format"

wow. extremely well informed and helpful people on this board. :-)

I had previously explained it had to do with the optics, not the film size. I was trying to make it simple to understand when compared to Todd-AO, because usually (at least with the vast majority of the anamophic footage Matt has seen) 35mm film is used. Of course if you take that particular post in context with previous posts, it becomes clear anamophic optics could be used with any format. I admit I am not some infallible source of knowledge, but I believe that particular post was justified when taken in context.

I still don't see the benefit of the proposed format; of course it would be a fun experiment but in the end not worth it for practical sauce. (maybe if it found mainstream acceptance that would change...)

• 4 years later...

Matthew,

If your still around check out the UltraPan8 threads regrading a new 2.8:1 ultrawide format utilizing standard R/D8 2 perf film!

Cheers!

NK

I was wondering, if you shot on DS8 film and didn't slit it in processing and just widened the gate horizontally, could that be used as a Anamorphic Super 8 ?