The Bourne Supremacy

C'mon guys, this is why DP's drive directors nuts *L*... the Russian action sequence that starts on foot and goes to car is flat out incredible. The story is satisfying and the protagonist wins and yet does not have a "happy-happy book" ending. Really, a very impressive sequel. Of course, it has a great writer behind it, so that's the saving grace.

The first ten minutes I thought" uh oh, handheld everything?" but really, it didn't bother me after the first act.

• 6 years later...

I think shaky camera work was to make it more like documentary or "something that is happening somewhere right now" feel.

That being said, camera work is one thing but cinematography, i love it, i love how gritty and realistic it is ! How russia looks like and how dirty cars are, i love that you can see dirt on walls and bad weather... i live in europe so i can relate to many locations in this movie and im biased probably but i never saw anything like it in any movie before, i loved it for natural cinematography, some crane shots were there but i liked lighting and overall look, colours and final scene in Zelenograd blocks looks so much like my home town, its really weird i never was so taken by the movie because of locations or because ive seen Icarus bus or german parking for trucks on the side of motorway, i slept a couple of times on one of these and this scene is so realistic and when i see it then i remember how it felt like when i was there.Never had anything like this with any movie before, i dont know how New Yorkers react to movies shot in New York or other people who watch their hometowns in movies, how they feel and how important it is for them.

• 4 weeks later...

The frist thing i noticed when wathcing this film was the jumpy filming. It was a major distraction for me and my non-filmer friend. So that proves that it was not just us who did not like it. He leaned over and asked if it was supposed to be like that. Sadly, I had to say yes.

I for one actually liked the way BS was filmed. It suit the mood of the film. I felt like I was thrust in the middle of the action. Has to be one of my favorite movies.

Also, what's up with the focus? I'm assuming the out of focus stuff was intentional, but I just don't get the point. Anyone have any theories about it?

I know a documentary cameraman who thought the focus hunting in his own work was great. It could be from the documentary backgrounds of the main people involved.

The style works in the Bourne films, but it didn't transfer over to the Bond films where it just became a mess.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

C'mon guys, this is why DP's drive directors nuts *L*... the Russian action sequence that starts on foot and goes to car is flat out incredible. The story is satisfying and the protagonist wins and yet does not have a "happy-happy book" ending. Really, a very impressive sequel. Of course, it has a great writer behind it, so that's the saving grace.

The first ten minutes I thought" uh oh, handheld everything?" but really, it didn't bother me after the first act.

Totally agree with you. I was actually breathless after watching that sequence.