Main difference between Cannon 1014 AZ / 1014 XL-S

Andrew Means

• Premium Member
I'm not planning on synching sound anytime soon, so if that's the only difference I may be in the market for a 1014 AZ E...

Even if you do plan on sound sync, the 1014E has 24fps. It also recognizes practically every film speed known to man. Its an awesome camera and it has an incredible lens. I personally think it is Canon's best Super 8 camera. The 1014 XL-S is great to, dont get me wrong.

Having just been seriously outbid on a 1014 XL-S model, I can say a few things about it.

First, you can't do sync sound in camera anymore, you probably know that already but sound film carts don't exist anymore. It's npt so much about whether you can do sync sound in camera but for me it's about how quiet the camera is.

I want to shoot free running sound (wild sound) but my current 814 AutoZoom is a sewing machine sounding device. In a quiet room, there is little escaping it. You can also look at it this way, you can frighten people and attract lots of attention if you fire one of the non-sound cameras up in a coffee shop. On the other hand, you can draw lots of attention. It's a 2 -way street in some instances. At least everyone knows when you are rolling.

Sean

(Looking for a cheap 814 or 1014 XL-S)

Having just been seriously outbid on a 1014 XL-S model, I can say a few things about it.

First, you can't do sync sound in camera anymore, you probably know that already but sound film carts don't exist anymore. It's npt so much about whether you can do sync sound in camera but for me it's about how quiet the camera is.

I want to shoot free running sound (wild sound) but my current 814 AutoZoom is a sewing machine sounding device. In a quiet room, there is little escaping it. You can also look at it this way, you can frighten people and attract lots of attention if you fire one of the non-sound cameras up in a coffee shop. On the other hand, you can draw lots of attention. It's a 2 -way street in some instances. At least everyone knows when you are rolling.

Sean

(Looking for a cheap 814 or 1014 XL-S)

from conversations in the past, I've heard that the quietest cameras around tend to be braun nizo's, and the 6080 is supposedly very quiet (tho I can't confirm it cos the ebay one I bought was toast :angry: ). the beaulieu 6008 I just picked up is also pretty quiet... I also have a little nizo s40, which is my 'handbag' super 8, which produced nice results, and caused no issues when shooting on busy streets in rush hour - practically no one even noticed us filming...

the main adavantage of the 1014xls is model is the fact you can shoot in lower light than the autozoom model. the same goes for the 814xls (both having a 220 degree shutter, I believe), tho doesn't include the fade in and out in -camera options... the xls also looks better B)

Some of the differences to my mind are as follows:

The XL-s is a very good low light (XL) camera - the older camera isn't.

Both cameras have a variable shutter and can close to varying degrees, but the XL-s is the only super 8 camera (correct me if I am wrong) that can switch between 'normal' and 'xl' shutter openings.

I believe the XL-s is a quieter running camera.

The XL-s looks more modern.

The XL-s has a switch for the internal 85a filter, the older camera needs a screw for tungsten filming.

The XL-s has a apeture exposure compensation both over and under continuously variable +/- 1 fstop, as well as being able to close the shutter for under, while the older 1014 only has 1 and 2 full stops over exposure (not continuously variable) and no under exposure compensation except for the variable shutter.

But the older 1014 is a great camera with a nice big and bright viewfinder.

My advice, buy the older 1014 and spend the huge difference in price shooting 100d. then you will be using the best super 8 reversal stock ever and at 100asa are less likely to need the XL feature anyway.

• Premium Member
the main adavantage of the 1014xls is model is the fact you can shoot in lower light than the autozoom model. the same goes for the 814xls (both having a 220 degree shutter, I believe), tho doesn't include the fade in and out in -camera options... the xls also looks better B)

Better is rather subjective, but Im sure you know this. It depends on what you value, sharp picture or low light? If sharpness is what you desire, the 1014AZE would actually be sharper than the 1014 XLS since the AZ has a smaller shutter. Granted, the AZ may not look as good for low light but that is an issue of preparation and type of material shot. For narrative, I would prefer a sharper image which required more light because I would put a lot of prep into my scenes. For quick style shooting (which I dont know why you would shoot on Super 8) I would want low light camera and fast film stock. My results would look grainy as hell, and probably soft, but I would get it with low light.

Or am I way off in interpretation? Are you talking about looks better in terms of the camera or the picture produced?

• Premium Member
Wow, the 814/1014AZ is sharper 814/1014XL-S, I didn't know that, I may buy one, just one problem, can you get it in black, it just that I will probably light with reflectors, and I do NOT want a shiny camera.

I dont think they made it for accessorizing. I have never seen any color but the silver and black trim variation. You could always paint it, you know.

IF it's for one shoot, try black gaffer tape. I have never seen the 814 or 1014 AZ in anything other than the raw aluminum style. Another thought photographers have used for a logn long time is to put a larger black foamcore piece right in front of the camera with a hole only big enough to push the lens through. You won't likely see any really noticable reflections in set objects of the camera or operator that way.

If you hang on a bit, I may end up with an 814 AZ for sale. Looking at an 814 XL-s right now. Should know by tonight.

Sean

Better is rather subjective, but Im sure you know this. It depends on what you value, sharp picture or low light? If sharpness is what you desire, the 1014AZE would actually be sharper than the 1014 XLS since the AZ has a smaller shutter.

Or am I way off in interpretation? Are you talking about looks better in terms of the camera or the picture produced?

The 1014XLS has a variable shutter so you can get the benefits of the XL shutter and the sharpness of a 150 degree shutter too. Plus a few more years of lens and coating development, I would doubt the Auto Zoom produces sharper results. (I also think it looks better than the Auto Zoom in any light.)

• Premium Member
The 1014XLS has a variable shutter so you can get the benefits of the XL shutter and the sharpness of a 150 degree shutter too. Plus a few more years of lens and coating development, I would doubt the Auto Zoom produces sharper results. (I also think it looks better than the Auto Zoom in any light.)

Actually, according to Super8wiki, the 1014XL-S doesnt have a variable shutter. Its a 220 degree shutter.

Check here if you dont believe:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon_1014XL-S_CANOSOUND

The AZE DOES have a variable shutter however that goes to 150 degrees. With all due respect, I dont believe a few years of lens development is going to overcome 70 degrees more shutter in the sharpness department. At correct exposure, the AZ is going to have much more light, finer grain, and a sharper picture Im sure.

• Premium Member

I have had a 1014 xls for many years, though I haven't used it for some time. The C 8 w/a adapter worked great, and was just a screw in adapter to the front of the lens (I think 67mm). I actually used it on a still camera (35mm!) and it worked well too- so I would guess it would work on any of the other models you mentioned as long as the front of the lens is threaded. In terms of noise, the 1014 xls is much much quieter than the 814. I recently used an 814 xls and it was really LOUD compared to my 1014 by a factor of two or three. When I was shooting sound with my 1014 in small rooms I did need a barney though. As pointed out earlier, loud/quiet can be good or bad depending on the situation. I would also agree that the 1014 xls optics will probably be better- given that the lenses were continually improved on the upper end cameras. I should also note that the manual controls are very well marked and easy to use- you can do just about anything you want in terms of manual control.

Bruce

Actually, according to Super8wiki, the 1014XL-S doesnt have a variable shutter. Its a 220 degree shutter.

Check here if you dont believe:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon_1014XL-S_CANOSOUND

The AZE DOES have a variable shutter however that goes to 150 degrees. With all due respect, I dont believe a few years of lens development is going to overcome 70 degrees more shutter in the sharpness department. At correct exposure, the AZ is going to have much more light, finer grain, and a sharper picture Im sure.

As the owner of a 1014XL-S I can tell you with no respect due that it does (regardless of what the Super8wiki says).

In fact here's a picture from the manual:

Canon-1014XL-S-Variable-Shu.jpg