Hard drives and Super-8 transfers.

John Adolfi

Since the "new age" of super-8 is upon us and mailing a hard drive to the labs will be a new experience for some like myself this coming year, what experience has anyone in shopping and purchasing hard drives.

Are we buying 500GB drives? What about price vs. quality of the unit? Any tips on packing it for shipment?

• Premium Member

As a print Creative Director, I'm constantly going through external drives. I have 12 right now.

I would recommend the Maxtor 500gb Firewire 800 drive. I believe they are actually (2) 250's in one enclosure.

The only drive I've ever had fail was a big 500gb LaCie drive.

That of course doesn't really mean anything, it could have been just a rotten apple.

The Firewire 800 interface makes a big difference when you are moving around these GIANT uncompressed HD files. They all have Firewire 400 and usually USB 2.0 interfaces on them as well so you're covered.

• Premium Member

...I have received a couple of transfers on hard disk. Both were from CineLab in Boston. They sent me their drive without insurance or a fee. I downloaded the files and sent it back to them. If you have to send a drive there and back anyway, why not just use the lab drive and keep your own drive safe at home?

Steve