K3 Pricing

Andrew Spirk

Hey Everyone, first post on the boards, lots of good info on these boards. I just had a question about the K3 pricing. I keep reading that everyone is getting the camera for $100, $150, $350, etc. But for example, Duall sells the K3 for $800, and with the mods and crystal sync, it comes out to $1500. What makes these so much more expensive than what you guys are paying for this camera?

Thanks for the help!

• Premium Member

The Duall camera has been serviced and possibly upgraded to Super 16.

The 150-175 cameras on eBay often come directly from Russia or Ukraine, and you never know what you'll get. I got lucky but sent it to Duall for a makeover anyway which cost more than the camera itself.

So I spent about $500 on my K-3 to have Super 16 with a widened viewfinder too. Not a bad deal.

If you're looking for a camera to start off with, consider a Scoopic M or MS. I just picked one up for $500 and can't believe how nice it is not to have to wind the camera constantly. Plus, loading is extremely easy. Not Super 16 though...

Hey Everyone, first post on the boards, lots of good info on these boards. I just had a question about the K3 pricing. I keep reading that everyone is getting the camera for $100, $150, $350, etc. But for example, Duall sells the K3 for $800, and with the mods and crystal sync, it comes out to $1500. What makes these so much more expensive than what you guys are paying for this camera?

Thanks for the help!

If you ready pay $1500 for 16 mm camera, i think, you need check information about Kinor-16 SX-2M.

This is professional 16 mm cine camera with high technical characteristics, electrical motor, 100 ft, 400 ft film magazines wide set of prime and zoom lenses.

The electrical motor can be modify on crystal synch with many speeds.

Okay, I see now why it's more expensive. The Duall one is super 16 and has a few other upgrades, including:

Super 16 Gate only, TCS Crystal Motor,

Ugraded to Arri Bayonet Mount,

17-69mm T1.9 Zoom (covers super-16),

12 volt 5ah battery w/ charger, power cable,

pro upgraded loading.

At any rate, it seems like a pretty decent camera for the price.

• Premium Member

Tobin isn't making the motor any more and Duall bought up the few remaining he had. Unless you really need it in Super 16, I'd still look for a Canon Scoopic M or MS for under $700 and you'll have a rock solid 16mm camera with easy loading and great auto iris (if you would want to use it.).

This is coming from someone who has a Super 16 K-3 modified by Duall. I'm just tired of winding the thing and its not worth $1500 to buy one with a motor.

Tobin isn't making the motor any more and Duall bought up the few remaining he had. Unless you really need it in Super 16, I'd still look for a Canon Scoopic M or MS for under $700 and you'll have a rock solid 16mm camera with easy loading and great auto iris (if you would want to use it.).

This is coming from someone who has a Super 16 K-3 modified by Duall. I'm just tired of winding the thing and its not worth $1500 to buy one with a motor.

How much did it cost you to have your K3 modified by Duall? Did they just switch the gate or did they modify the viewfinder, realign the lens, etc?

How much did it cost you to have your K3 modified by Duall? Did they just switch the gate or did they modify the viewfinder, realign the lens, etc?

Du-all lists all their prices on their site... http://www.duallcamera.com/services/index.shtml Check under "overhauls" for K3 prices. I don't know if the price includes taking out the mask or if that's extra.

Their pro-mod basically involves the removal of the loop formers although more work may be needed depending on the problems that need to be solved. All I know is that my camera works fine after the upgrade.

Also, you may want to add $30 for a add-on hand crank. I bought one from Ebay and the K3 winds much, much easier, plus you can apparently use it for some Tony Scott, Music Video "shifty frame rate' effects but I haven't tried it yet.

Du-all lists all their prices on their site... http://www.duallcamera.com/services/index.shtml Check under "overhauls" for K3 prices. I don't know if the price includes taking out the mask or if that's extra.

Their pro-mod basically involves the removal of the loop formers although more work may be needed depending on the problems that need to be solved. All I know is that my camera works fine after the upgrade.

Also, you may want to add $30 for a add-on hand crank. I bought one from Ebay and the K3 winds much, much easier, plus you can apparently use it for some Tony Scott, Music Video "shifty frame rate' effects but I haven't tried it yet.

They don't list the price for the S16 conversion. Their website is also a little wonky and the links keep going to the Arri 16S S16 upgrade page. It does list the K3 overhaul price on the services homepage.

I did bring my K3 to them a few weeks ago for the overhaul and got it back. They did an excellent job and collimated both my lenses. What mask are you referring to? Everything through the viewfinder looks as it did prior to the overhaul. I know Jeff cleaned it out, collimated my lenses, and checked my speeds. He also did the Pro Upgrade. What they don't say on their website is that the $225 includes the pro upgrade. Just an overhaul was $175 and the pro upgrade was $50. He did a very nice clean job of removing the loop formers and sealing the two holes left by the plastic loop formers. Now the camera runs smoother and is actually pretty easy to load manually after practicing with some white leader film. I've only invested about $350 into this camera which includes the cost of the camera and I've got a pretty mechanically sound K3, perfect for all my school projects (especially since my school only has 4 Bolex H16s for about 75 students).

Okay, I see now why it's more expensive. The Duall one is super 16 and has a few other upgrades, including:

Super 16 Gate only, TCS Crystal Motor,

Ugraded to Arri Bayonet Mount,

17-69mm T1.9 Zoom (covers super-16),

12 volt 5ah battery w/ charger, power cable,

pro upgraded loading.

At any rate, it seems like a pretty decent camera for the price.

The good specification, Arri bayonet mount, Tobin Crystal motor ( frankly speaking Clive tobin not make motors for K-3 more ), Super 16 zoom lens (what price have this is SUper 16 lens ? ) .... all this OK, but, we lost of base details.

The Krasnoghrosk cameras have a simply transport mechanism, design for use for amateur film shooting, have not high volume of registration test, have not hold-down plate from side of film and more other important parts for professional cine camera.

This is similar of install of laser gun on wheelbarrow.

If you wish Super 16, crystal synch speed, you think about professinal qulaity of footages, and you need take high quality mechanism for update.

Kransogorsk very good camera, I love this camera and use for my personal shooting, but, need remember, this is camera have a limited of technical possibilities.

And not need dream of create spaceship from parts of mincing machine.

If you need spaceship, need take a parts from spaceships too.

( joke)

Guest Ole Dost
The good specification, Arri bayonet mount, Tobin Crystal motor ( frankly speaking Clive tobin not make motors for K-3 more ), Super 16 zoom lens (what price have this is SUper 16 lens ? ) .... all this OK, but, we lost of base details.

The Krasnoghrosk cameras have a simply transport mechanism, design for use for amateur film shooting, have not high volume of registration test, have not hold-down plate from side of film and more other important parts for professional cine camera.

This is similar of install of laser gun on wheelbarrow.

If you wish Super 16, crystal synch speed, you think about professinal qulaity of footages, and you need take high quality mechanism for update.

Kransogorsk very good camera, I love this camera and use for my personal shooting, but, need remember, this is camera have a limited of technical possibilities.

And not need dream of create spaceship from parts of mincing machine.

If you need spaceship, need take a parts from spaceships too.

( joke)

I agree with Olexandr,

Why do you want to spend so much money on a Krasnogorsk 3? You can get a KInor 16 sx-m2 much cheaper than this special upgrade, and the Kinor is really upper class! It is the russian Éclair/Arr SR!! The fim transport mechansm is much better. It´s pin registered. The Mags are interchangeable. The view finder is excellent. Try to get this one and you have "Arri-SR-class" fpor probably lesser than 1000 Dollars! And Olexandr offers great upgrade-kits! He upgraded and serviced mine and I really like what he did.

Ole

• Premium Member

I think the "Pro Upgrade" and S16 conversion was like $350 for both. Then another $75 for the viewfinder mod. On mine, the matte was widened not just removed so I still have a framing reference, although its a little hard to see on the right hand side.

While the Kinor is a better camera in a many ways, its not nearly as portable and light weight so consider that as well.

If you start paying over $700 for a K3 Super 16 modified camera, you're paying too much or should consider another, better camera.

Definitely look for that crank mod as well, winding that K3 will make your hand ache.

I think the "Pro Upgrade" and S16 conversion was like $350 for both. Then another $75 for the viewfinder mod. On mine, the matte was widened not just removed so I still have a framing reference, although its a little hard to see on the right hand side.

While the Kinor is a better camera in a many ways, its not nearly as portable and light weight so consider that as well.

If you start paying over $700 for a K3 Super 16 modified camera, you're paying too much or should consider another, better camera.

Definitely look for that crank mod as well, winding that K3 will make your hand ache.

Well, considering that I purchased the camera through work, and that we were looking for the cheapest crystal sync, with minimum hassle, we got the K3 upgraded kit from Duall, for $1500 US Dollars. It's a bit on the steep side, but for my own needs, I see it being a very viable option for shooting film. I can't wait to get the vision2 stock processed to see if the image is sharp, rock steady, and above all, nice looking.

• 2 months later...

hi everyone!!

im andres from mexico city. im a film editor and my expierence is good enough with k3, i have 3 and one kinor 16, k3 and kinor serviced by olex in ukraine.

my advice is to look for a kinor, scopic or eclaire.

i love k3 and shoot a lot with that camera, is easy for me, i work alone in experimental projects, but is not a good choice if you want pro work.

bye

andres