Question on Arri 16BL lens mount

Mark A. Rapp

New question for anyone in the know:

Will the lens mount on the Arri 16BL (the bayonet mount) take Arri "standard" lenses as well as bayonet lenses?

I read something online that led me to believe so. The excerpt is this: "...The Bayonet mount is backwards compatible, for mounting ARRI Standard mount lenses..." This leads one to believe that the bayonet mount is engineered to accept lenses built for an Arri "standard" mount. Or am I way off here?

• Premium Member

I have never done this on an Arriflex 16BL, so it is possible that I am mistaken, but I have never seen an Arriflex camera with a "bayonet" mount that could not take lenses with the ARRI standard mount. I have done this with the "bayonet" mount on Arriflex 16S/B cameras as well as Arriflex 16SR and 16SRII cameras. I cannot see any reason why the Arriflex 16BL would be any different.

With one caveat. You need to be careful what lens you mount on the front of the Arriflex 16BL because some of the early Schneiders, almost all the Cooke Kinetals, and some of the early Zeiss lenses in ARRI standard mount will go too deep into the BL and hit the mirror. Be very careful in checking if the lens goes to deep, because if you bust the mirror on that camera, it is quite expensive to repair.

Hope that helps,

-Tim

New question for anyone in the know:

Will the lens mount on the Arri 16BL (the bayonet mount) take Arri "standard" lenses as well as bayonet lenses?

I read something online that led me to believe so. The excerpt is this: "...The Bayonet mount is backwards compatible, for mounting ARRI Standard mount lenses..." This leads one to believe that the bayonet mount is engineered to accept lenses built for an Arri "standard" mount. Or am I way off here?

HI

I own an arriflex bl super 16 bayonet mount.I use an zeiss 10 - 100 bayonet a 16mm distagon bayonet and a 25mm distagon bayonet In standard mount lenses i use zeiss planar 32mm and 59mm and a zeiss sonar 85mm from my 2c camera. There is a list of witch standard lenses fits on the camera. Try www.cinematechnic.com\resources\arri_16bl.

NOT ALL STANDARD LENSES FITS ON CAMERA WHEN I WAS STUDENT I DESTROYED A BL 16 USING A SCHNEIDER LENS AND THE MIROR DESTROYED.

Sorry for my English :unsure: