shooting with Kowa anamorphic!

Rajavel Olhiveeran

hi all

am doing my next feature using the anamorphic lens KOWA. i would prefer to shoot with Hawk series...but my budget wouldnt allow that. kowa apparently is outdated from the international cinema scene. it looks extremely soft to me....but i want to make the best of Kowa. how do i manage to get sharper images.....with better depth of field....and make my images look rich.

do i have to go for more of backligting ......and boosting the actors keylight reading more than the ...available exterior light (day exterior)

i will be shooting on arri 3 with 25mm, 40, 50, 75, 100 mm block lens and HR angenuix zoom.

thanks and cheers!!

The Kowa lenses should be a bit softer than state-of-the-art anamorphics, but not that bad!

Is is possible to have them checked/collimated to your camera?

Some ideas about improving image quality:

1. STOP DOWN. NEVER shoot at the largest opening. I suppose the Kowas will look best two f-stops down from wide open. Shoot a few test tables and find out at which aperture the lenses give the best resolution.

2. When shooting outdoors, use ND filters to keep exposure around your optimum f-stop - you will lose sharpness again when you stop down to 11 or 16.

3. In low-level light situations, use faster film stock if necessary to avoid shooting wide open. You have the larger anamorphic frame, so grain should not be a large problem.

Flat lighting and overuse of long lenses will diminish the special look of anamorphic, so I think your idea of using contrasty lighting to get more apparent sharpness is useful.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Is the Kowa in question an anamorphic adapter or an anamorphic lens? I have never heard of Kowa anamorphic lenses, just adapters.

Me neither, I thought they made anamorphics for projectors...... :blink:

I'd try not to fight the lenses, explore the flaws and use them. I love shitty lenses, nothing worse than a pin sharp lens with zero distortion......

e.g for beauty work I'd still use a Mk 1 Cooke 25-250 - rubbish lens by today's standards but great for skin

Is the Kowa in question an anamorphic adapter or an anamorphic lens? I have never heard of Kowa anamorphic lenses, just adapters.

They date back to the 50s and 60s.

They use the older focusing system. But that allows them to be rather compact.

I thought 40mm was the shortest lens availiable.

What is the f/stop and T stop of the 25mm? & the size and weight of it?

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale