K3 - likeness to still camera?

Patrick Cooper

When I took my K3 to the Victorian ski fields a few years ago, I got more than a few interested looks from observers. What I found really bizarre was that a few people thought that my 16mm cine camera was a still camera. There was even one guy who asked: That's a still camera, isn't it?" And other people remarked about my 'big camera' and the 'photos' that they assume that I take with it. To me, the K3 looks like a classic movie camera design. You could almost partly forgive people for mistaking super 8 cameras for video cameras (which has happened to me a number of times.) Though I'm confused why anyone would think that the K3 resembles a still camera. Have other K3 users here experienced the same type of assumptions from observers?

I think sometimes people go through a mental "process of elimination." If a person sees something the don't recognize, they "run through the list" of things it 'could' be. People know that video cameras as square, silver, and have little red lights so they 'know' it isn't a video camera.

The K3 is big, covered in leatherette, and has a huge lense. If youthing about a typical "spy" movie, the cameras are often big, black, and have huge lenses. So I guess in thier minds, "professional still camera" is the best answer they can come to.

Remember, to most people, a camera is something they use three times a year. We are really more into this than most people.

Joe

Very good points - especially about people going through a mental process of "elimination" of things they know. Although most people aren't too familiar with movie cameras, I would think that the rectangular shape of the K3, the black colour and the rounded curves on the top which contain the film spools would appear reminiscent of movie cameras with 'mickey mouse' film mags as seen on tv and the cinema. Additionally, still cameras are usually not as rectangular or as large as movie cameras seen on the screen. Once I was filming with my K3 at a harbour and a photographer there mistook it for a 35mm movie camera....at least he was closer with his guess!

That reminds me of the time I was about to get a Bolex and one guy I knew was quite interested and was wondering if he could make a short film with it. I think he was assuming that it could record both vision and sound. This same person refers to spring driven cameras as 'wind up video cameras.'

Some guy once asked me if my Bolex was "that thing that tells you where the buildings are going to be," I guess referring to surveying equipment. I explained to him that it was actually a camera, and that I was a film student making a movie, but he kept asking me about what buildings we were going to put up. :blink:

Scott, that is hilarious.

That actually reminds me of a slightly similar incident which occured a few years ago. I had my Canon 1014E super 8 camera mounted to a tripod near a carpark. I was a doing time lapse study of the movement of shadows on a building across the road. A car was about to exit the carpark and pulled up beside me. The driver was an old man was asked me in a very concerned voice: "Is that a speed camera?" He sounded quite worried.

Edited by Patrick Cooper