threaded filter question

Robert Glenn

I have a lens that accepts a wierd sized filter diameter. I just got another filter that has a diameter that is aprox. 1.5mm smaller. The lens has a 16x9 hood on the front, so the filter is not going to vignette in any way. Anybody face a situation like this? What would you suggest that I do? Thanks

• Premium Member
I have a lens that accepts a wierd sized filter diameter............. Anybody face a situation like this? What would you suggest that I do? Thanks

Plan A:

Get a matte box that takes standard size filters. Once you have a good matte box you can use multiple filters, tilt filters to avoid reflections off the lens front, use hard mattes, do in camera effects like split screens, patterned vignettes, hang a french flag off of it to control flares, etc., etc.

Plan B:

Call up B&H or another large dealer and see if they can supply an adapter ring. There's probably an adapter ring available to adapt dogs to cats if one looks long enough for it (my three cats are loudly objecting to this concept).

• Premium Member
Plan A:

Get a matte box that takes standard size filters. Once you have a good matte box you can use multiple filters, tilt filters to avoid reflections off the lens front, use hard mattes, do in camera effects like split screens, patterned vignettes, hang a french flag off of it to control flares, etc., etc.

Plan B:

Call up B&H or another large dealer and see if they can supply an adapter ring. There's probably an adapter ring available to adapt dogs to cats if one looks long enough for it (my three cats are loudly objecting to this concept).

Plan C:

Get a Series filter adaptor set and use all Series filters. Series 6 or series 8 are popular. Problem with this plan is that the series stuff has gone out of style and you may have troble finding someone who knows What I am talking about. The advantage is that you can get an adaptor for each lens, and then just buy one set of series filters to fit all of them.

thanks for the suggestions dudes! Well I can' find any sort of ring for this particular size, nor a filter size. I might be out of luck as far as that goes.. was thinking of sandwiching something between the threads.. not sure what success I could get though.