100D in a 40 / 160 camera

Patrick Cooper

As has been discussed many times, a 64T film cartridge placed in a super 8 camera that reads only 40 and 160 asa film would default to the 40asa setting, overexposing the footage by two thirds of a stop. I was wondering if one was to load a 100D cartridge into a 40 / 160 camera, what asa setting would the camera default to? Would this be 160 or would I be wrong?

Depends on the camera. You need to find the speed notch reading mechanism (on a 40/160 camera this is often just a single pin). Then you need to see whether the 100d cart you are using pushes in this button or not.

Next, you need to know whether your 40/160 camera is also a 25d/100d camera. Some are some aren't. The Bauer's for instance aren't. For it to be a 25/100 it must have a filter notch reading pin. having this pin is no guarantee that it is a 25/100 camera though.

You also need to bear in mind that neither Pro8 nor Wittner notch their 100d carts as 100d (in my experience). If you are in Australia, buy your carts from me as I re-notch my suppliers carts correctly. If you need to check the notching on your 100d carts, compare them to a Kodak Plus-x cart (7265 - not the old 50asa plus-x).

Remember, if the cart doesn't push the speed pin in, then its reading it as the higher of the speeds the camera has. Then if their is a filter notch reading pin the camera MIGHT but only MIGHT be able to read the film as 100d, else it will read it as 160d