Repairing a Bell & Howell Filmo 70DR 16mm Camera

Jonathan Bowerbank

This thing was runnin' like a champ, until a couple years ago when I ignorantly ran the thing dry at 64fps.

It's a great workhorse of a camera that my uncle used as a newscaster in the 60's. These cameras have gone through wars and come out alive.

http://www.tfgtransfer.com/70dr.gif

Does anyone know of a place that does simple repairs such as this? I'm pretty sure the spring's just wound too tight, or something. Or, if you have any instructions for doing it myself, that'd be even better.

thanks!

Jon

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member
Does anyone know of a place that does simple repairs such as this? I'm pretty sure the spring's just wound too tight, or something. Or, if you have any instructions for doing it myself, that'd be even better.

thanks!

Jon

Hi Jon,

You can try Alan Gordon Enterprises in Hollywood; they may still work on these, though I heard something about their B&H stock being sold off to some place in Florida a while back.

FYI: I seem to recall one of the service techs at Gordon telling me that their service department has a heavy metal plate (or something like that) they open these cameras under when accessing the spring compartment. Apparently the large spring can be a threat to life and limb. Might be worth confirming before you decide to make it a do-it-yourself project.

Apparently the large spring can be a threat to life and limb. Might be worth confirming before you decide to make it a do-it-yourself project.

Thanks, yeah, I just bought a repair manual for this specific camera. I will for sure take strict precautions if there is any danger in playing with the spring, hopefully the manual includes warnings such as this ;)

Indeed it is.

There is a special restraining tool for removing the spring.

[/quoteBe afraid......very afraid. I converted a few of the 16mm and a lot of the Eyemos (35mm version) to DC electric motor drive. This required removing the spring completly from the mechanisim. And yes there was a factory rig to hold the sprocket drive assembly (the film transport) while it was removed from the camera body. Most techs either had one or built their own. But the main tool was a pair of heavy steel ring sections that could be dropped over the springs. The mechanisim was then run untill the spring unwound tight against these ring(s) thus allowing it's safe removal from the transport plate. If you or whoever does not have such tools no attempt should be made at spring removal. I saw one from a Eyemo explode across a room... Mucho more terrifying than any Flying Dagger, kung fu knife thingy you ever saw in any movie. Then of course there are the industry tales of the camera tech with missing finger(s).

Chuck

This thing was runnin' like a champ, until a couple years ago when I ignorantly ran the thing dry at 64fps.

It's a great workhorse of a camera that my uncle used as a newscaster in the 60's. These cameras have gone through wars and come out alive.

Jon,

You might want to check out this Yahoo group bh_filmo70. A lot of info there.

Charlie

I've serviced a couple of my own Filmos, but have never needed to get in as deep as the mainspring. My guess is that you can remove the front shutter assembly and find whatever is jamming your mechanism (on a 70KRM I found a broken leaf from the clutch gear, which necessitated removing the top plate and replacing the gear). If you aren't comfortable with doing your own troubleshooting and repairs, you may be better off buying another one off eBay and keeping this one for parts.

This is probably no help, but years ago I had my jammed Filmo repaired by the guy who used to operate as

Eso-S in Kansas City. He used to sell all kinds of film stocks and supplies. He repaired my camera and it still

purrs today. As I recall, the cost was extremely reasonable. Don't know how to contact him, or if he is even still

around. Does anybody know?

• 7 years later...

This is probably no help, but years ago I had my jammed Filmo repaired by the guy who used to operate as

Eso-S in Kansas City. He used to sell all kinds of film stocks and supplies. He repaired my camera and it still

purrs today. As I recall, the cost was extremely reasonable. Don't know how to contact him, or if he is even still

around. Does anybody know?

I'm sorry to say that Harry Hilfinger of Es-O-S Pictures passed on a couple years ago. He was in his mid-90's, a master film technician, and one of the nicest guys in the business. After "retiring" and closing down his store and film lab (probably sometime in the 80's,) Harry continued to sell remaindered and used merchandise and used Castle Films-type subjects from the basement of his home and a P.O. Box address. I miss Harry, and am sure many others in this hobby do too. "We shall not see his like again..."

Edited by Jeff Missinne