Corrective eye surgery

F Bulgarelli

I have a friend that swears eye surgery is the best thing in the world and could change your life forever.

This is something i'm considering. Just imagine, not having to remove your glasses everytime you are operating a film camera.

Was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences,

francisco

I would ask these types of questions to your ophthalmologist.

I am near sighted and I have a few friends that have had one of the corrective surgeries over the past few years and most are happy. I'm sure you will find people that are happy with their surgery.

However I have been asking ophthalmologists since radial kerotonamy came out in the early 80's and they all have basically said they would not touch an otherwise healthy organ.

the one I asked about two years ago said the chance for error is about 4 percent and he thought that was too high. That's 4 out of every 100 people. I would hate to be one of those 4.

So I personally am waiting for it to get a little better.

Best

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
I have a friend that swears eye surgery is the best thing in the world and could change your life forever.

This is something i'm considering. Just imagine, not having to remove your glasses everytime you are operating a film camera.

Was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences,

francisco

i guess i'm too much of a coward for this kind of operation.

well, my eyes are not completely unimportant for the job i'm aspiring.

for video, i usually leave the glasses on, except in sweaty enviroments,

where they tend to ... don't know the english term.. where humidity

settles down on them. yes, very eloquent.

and for shooting film i usually make myself a holder out of gaffer tape

for my glasses somewhere on the camera's body. just a little loop where

i can slip the temple in.

looks rather stupid, but is very practical.

Since I am near sighted I can get away with using the diopter in the viewfinder. However one person I have worked with, Phil Abraham who shoots The Sopranos, had a corrective lens made specifically for a film camera he drops in the eyepiece. I understand it is a normal eyeglass corrective lens just shaped for an eyepiece.

Just a word of warning. If someone goes to get the advice of a opthalmologist, try and make sure they don't earn much of their practice buy doing this sort of corrective surgery. They may give you an overly optimistic evaluation if they directly profit from it. Or at least it is just my 2 cents.

Best

Tim

Edited by timHealy

• Premium Member

Doug Hart also suggested that I have my optometrist make a small round lens to my prescription that can be popped into my camera's viewfinder. He did that for Woody Allen when he was 1st AC for Gordon Willis and Carlo Di Palma on several of Woody's films.

Hey francisco- how's it going?

I was just talking to a friend about this who had it done and they screwed it up... He sees haloes now. He said it was like a 1/2 -1/4 White Pro Mist on that eye. Needless to say, he didn't do the other eye after the first one went awry, so he's in the odd position of having one eye corrected, but with halation and the other eye uncorrected, but no halation. Headaches galore.

Anyway, I know lots of people have done it with no problems and love it, but if you're looking for horror stories, look no further.

ANDREAS

Doug Hart also suggested that I have my optometrist make a small round lens to my prescription that can be popped into my camera's viewfinder. He did that for Woody Allen when he was 1st AC for Gordon Willis and Carlo Di Palma on several of Woody's films.

That's a great idea, but I wonder if I could just take an old pair of my glasses and pop out the lens and put it inside a doughnut. Then I wouldn't have to visit my optometrist. B)

That's a great idea, but I wonder if I could just take an old pair of my glasses and pop out the lens and put it inside a doughnut. Then I wouldn't have to visit my optometrist. B)

yes that would work depending on the condition of the old glasses in terms of scratches and the like, and if your prescription has changed over time.

best

Tim

yes that would work depending on the condition of the old glasses in terms of scratches and the like, and if your prescription has changed over time.

best

Tim

I can get away with reading glasses most of the time. The only reason that I need prescription is that my left and right eye need a different diopter. Since I'd be using one eye only I could just pic the best diopter. Hey, may be that gives me a 10x to 13X conversion on my Bolex for the price of a doughnut and a pair of Dr. Dean Addell reading glasses :blink: