Aaton LTR 54 Owner's Manual

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Does anyone have an owner's manual for the Aaton LTR 54? The manual for the LTR7 is readily available and even online as a PDF. But the Aaton I have is a crossover model, seems to be a combination of the LTR7 and the LTR 54. And everything to do with setting camera speed and sync is different than what is in the common LTR manual. Mine has switches and buttons like the LTR 54.

A few other questions:

There is a red disc (about 10mm or so in diameter) on the lower right side of the camera, looks like it might have a light behind it. Any idea what that is for?

I cannot see where the camera has a light meter, but right behind the motor there is a little knob for setting film speed. Without a light meter, what is that for?

And finally, when I take off the cover for where the video tap would attach, there are lenses inside that opening. Does this mean the camera has the optional R optics for the old Aaton tube tap?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

-Tim

• Premium Member

Hi, Tim

May be this would help : http://www.camera-forum.fr/index.php?autoc...amp;showfile=55 Click on "télécharger" as to download the file.

There is a red disc (about 10mm or so in diameter) on the lower right side of the camera, looks like it might have a light behind it. Any idea what that is for?

Can you post a picture ? I have been using diffrent versions of the Aaton, but I can't recall what you are taliking about. A picture might help.

I cannot see where the camera has a light meter, but right behind the motor there is a little knob for setting film speed. Without a light meter, what is that for?

Yes there is a built in light meter.

It displays a series of flashing diodes in the lower side of the viewfinder.

There are two ways to have it displayed, assuming the fact there is a battery plugged on the camera :

1) While it's running

2) if you press and hold the run button to the right, as you would do to open the aperture plate as to check the gate.

If you open up the iris, the diode will go right, and left when you close it.

The proper exposition (based on a mean value) is reached when the center diode flashes.

All this from memory, please apologize for eventual mistakes that you should easily correct trying by yourself from these informations...

This is all I can do by now... Hope it may have helped !

• Premium Member

Bonjour Laurent,

I was not able to get that link to work. Couldn't find anywhere to download or view the manual the link talked about. Is that site the French language version of this site? If so, I wonder if the operation manual is just the same one that we have here in the manuals and docs section? If there is some way for me to actually view the PDF, I would like to see if it is the same manual.

As Mitch Gross was saying, each Aaton LTR is unique. I think mine was right at the crossover point from LTR7 to LTR54 and as such it has many parts from the 54 but still has the motor from the 7. An interesting breed.

It is interesting that every LTR manual that is available is for the LTR7. I have yet to find one that deals specifically with the LTR 54.

I really do like the camera, ergonomically it really is comfortable to hand hold, and boy is it quiet.

Merci beaucoup Laurent,

-Tim

• Premium Member
I was not able to get that link to work. Couldn't find anywhere to download or view the manual the link talked about. Is that site the French language version of this site? If so, I wonder if the operation manual is just the same one that we have here in the manuals and docs section?

No, our site is not a french version of cinematography.com, :D it's just a french site that is based on the same forum software...

Sometimes the site is a bit saturated, the links I gave works fine, but unfortunaltly I checked and the doc is the same as here...

Were the infos I gave about the light meter usefull, anyway ?

• Premium Member
No, our site is not a french version of cinematography.com, :D it's just a french site that is based on the same forum software...

Sometimes the site is a bit saturated, the links I gave works fine, but unfortunaltly I checked and the doc is the same as here...

Were the infos I gave about the light meter usefull, anyway ?

Laurent,

All the info you gave me was useful. It turns out that the camera does not have the light meter. I heard from Pierre at Aaton and he said the cameras had the ASA setting dial even when the light meter was not installed. So that is why I couldn't find a light meter in the camera.

Thanks for your help Laurent,

-Tim