What is a "Front Box"

• Premium Member
I had one of my guys ask for a "front Box" for christmas and I have no idea what it is, let me know so I can go " OOOHHHHH!, that thing"

It's a box (typically wooden) that attaches to the front of a tripod (not a DV4) that holds AC items (like a slate or tape). You should be able to find them on StudioDepot.com or FilmTools.com

cinemasupplies_1924_16670652.jpg

I had one of my guys ask for a "front Box" for christmas and I have no idea what it is, let me know so I can go " OOOHHHHH!, that thing"

Or if you ask any Camera Operator or DP they will fondly call it the "In the way box" as it always seems to be in the way when they want to tilt down.

:blink:

Pat

• Premium Member
It's a box (typically wooden) that attaches to the front of a tripod (not a DV4) that holds AC items (like a slate or tape). You should be able to find them on StudioDepot.com or FilmTools.com

cinemasupplies_1924_16670652.jpg

this one is especially nice, I think ! And it's got a Spectra light meter in it ! Not a Sekonic, lol !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Front boxes are quite nice (at least from an AC point of view) but they're also pretty expensive. I've often been tempted to try and build one myself.

It's a very easy thing to build yourself. The bracket for mounting is one of the few things in the filmmaking world that is standardized. You can get them at filmtools and probably studio depot, too.