Superman on DVD Super Bad

Bob Hayes

I really wanted to see this picture in the theaters as it was one of the first major films shot on the Genesis. Unfortunately I missed it so I have been looking forward to seeing it on DVD. Warning Spoiler. IT SUCKS! I thought any problems with the projected image would be fixed in the DVD. I was wrong. The worst part of the look was the flesh tones. The actors just looked like cadavers. Newton Thomas Sigel is an excellent DP so I really don?t think it was his fault. Also they gave Superman the phoniest blue contact lenses that made his eyes look like doll eyes. Ouch. The script was non existent. And apparently the dislike for America has grown so great on the world market that the film makers omitted ?and the American Way? at the end of ?Truth, Justice, and the American Way?. Did I mention they made Superman?s cape Burgundy instead of red? What wre they thinking?

I really wanted to see this picture in the theaters as it was one of the first major films shot on the Genesis. Unfortunately I missed it so I have been looking forward to seeing it on DVD. Warning Spoiler. IT SUCKS! I thought any problems with the projected image would be fixed in the DVD. I was wrong. The worst part of the look was the flesh tones. The actors just looked like cadavers. Newton Thomas Sigel is an excellent DP so I really don?t think it was his fault. Also they gave Superman the phoniest blue contact lenses that made his eyes look like doll eyes. Ouch. The script was non existent. And apparently the dislike for America has grown so great on the world market that the film makers omitted ?and the American Way? at the end of ?Truth, Justice, and the American Way?. Did I mention they made Superman?s cape Burgundy instead of red? What wre they thinking?

I wish that Singer would have played more on the Americana factor of the franchise. Perhaps make a Superman film were he saves the day from terrorists!

Saw these films with great anticipation and they all tanked:

1.) Superman

2.) King Kong

3.) Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe

My only hope is to see some humanity finally shine forth in a movie that some were laughing at earlier this year with its announcement but not anymore since the second trailer hit the net/theaters...Rocky Balboa.

Guest Ian Marks

1.) Superman

2.) King Kong

My only hope is to see some humanity finally shine forth in a movie that some were laughing at earlier this year with its announcement but not anymore since the second trailer hit the net/theaters...Rocky Balboa.

They all "tanked?" My understanding that Superman was a success, with $200 million in domestic box office receipts, that King Kong was also a success, with $218 million in domestic box office receipts, and that The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, was a mega-success, with close to $292 million domestic gross. If these movies tanked, what exactly do you consider a hit?

I miss posted on the Super 8 forum. Although I reposted under general this one seems to have a life of its own. Superman was shot on the Panavision Genesis camera. Despite having huge budgets and everything at the disposal of the director these giant films become like out of control semi trucks on ice.

• Premium Member

1.) Superman

2.) King Kong

All three of these films received complementary reviews not just by the reviewers, but by the audiences as well. Perhaps there was behind the scenes pressure to ensure these films were well received since the studios spent a lot of money on them, but I don't think it's fair to say they tanked, they all seemed to have some semblance of a storyline to them to go along with the special effects.

Perhaps your point is these specific movies are better off seen on a big screen and aren't as appealing when viewed on a small screen?

Superman 1978 on super-8 projected on the back of my house in 1979 pumped through my friends 200 watt amp and blasting out the king sized JBLs with tweeters the size of a plasma TV was better than the Superman Returns content. We want humanity! We want story! We want complex characters. The best thing about SR's was the opening credits, opening music and Brando. Lex was a bomb, and the kid was questionable, effects were great but over done. Again who cares about the characters...ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzz. Remember the scene with Luke fighting Vader in ESB. Notice the lack of visual information in the background, a star light source, color, smoke. Less is more! This is one of the best fight scenes and dialogue plot progressions ever..."I'm your father" Can't beat that with a stick.

Look King Kong lost it for me when Watts acted like she was dating the animal as apposed to just keeping it arms length and appreciating the protection. See the look in her confused eyes when her human lover came to save her the fist time on the cliff...yuck! Was that a date they were on in Central Park...double yuck!!! Kong did a dissapointing 218 million, if it was a better film it would of been KING with a 400 mill take. So the audience came once because of the build up and Peter Jackson, but never came back for a second look.

Narnia was boring...I'm a Christian but I do not like this story. The film never made me care about the Lion. Let him die so what. Kids batteling at the end was dumb and unrealistic against seasoned fighters. But I'm glad it did well financially. Surprisingly better than Kong and Superman.