DAMBUSTERS by Peter Jackson

• Premium Member

... 'Heard that Peter Jackson is going to produce a remake of the classic war movie... a curious and interesting choice for his next film. Does anybody know more about the shooting and production details?

Rupe Whiteman UK

Edited by rupe w

Why remake it? My guess would be because Eastwood make Flags of Our Fathers, Speilberg make Saving Private Ryan and Malick did Thin Red Line plus Jackson likes to do films he was inpressed wih in his youth. Maybe he saw this movie and thought he could do something with it. I'd love to have the chance to put a new spin on a WW2 movie. I'd love to remake The Longest day without all the censorship. Although Spielberg kinda already id that with the first half of Ryan. I'd really love to remake Flying Tigers as they really were, not the sanitized wartime propoganda piece John Wayne did in '42, but the real story of these wild American madmen that were the only thing that stood between the Japanese and the complete conquest though air supremacy of China in the early part of the war. It's one Hell of a story! B)

Why remake it? My guess would be because Eastwood make Flags of Our Fathers, Speilberg make Saving Private Ryan and Malick did Thin Red Line plus Jackson likes to do films he was inpressed wih in his youth. Maybe he saw this movie and thought he could do something with it. I'd love to have the chance to put a new spin on a WW2 movie. I'd love to remake The Longest day without all the censorship. Although Spielberg kinda already id that with the first half of Ryan. I'd really love to remake Flying Tigers as they really were, not the sanitized wartime propoganda piece John Wayne did in '42, but the real story of these wild American madmen that were the only thing that stood between the Japanese and the complete conquest though air supremacy of China in the early part of the war. It's one Hell of a story! B)

As I understand it this film is being produced by jackson and directed by a long time collaborator. The war movie that jackson has been rumoured to have in development has always been suspected to be based on New Zealanders experiences in Chunuck Bair (spell?) which was a fairly important experience for kiwi soldiers at gallipoli. Peter Jackson is a huge collector of WW1 artifacts.

Sasha

• 2 months later...

There is nothing wrong with a new interpretation.

If you view the original Dambusters today, frankly it does not impart realism and grit. I feel more fear riding the local fair rollercoaster than watching that film.

What we want is a fear inducing seat of the pants experience. Flying bombers over Euriope to bomb a bearings factory or railyard in WWII was just that. This mission was 100x that.

If the movie imparts a sense of realism, Ill be happy.