Suggestion - AFI 100 Years 100 Shots

Dan Adlerstein

I think this would be a logical and great idea for the next installment of thier somewhat ridiculous - yet fun debate inducing - series. To try and come up with specific rankings is of course an obsurd pursuit, yet the 100 years 100 films list did, i think, turn a lot of people on to some classic movies they may have otherwise not checked out. And all the clip shows have been fun to watch.

So here we go, the criteria: the shots have to be single, uncut shots (super-imposition could, i guess be ok). And they have to be from American films (because its AFI and that's what they do). Obviously all things that make a shot great, memorable, classic, etc. could and should be factors. Quality of cinematography a factor for sure, but not be all and end all. The weight of the moment, direction, everything ... iconic images and great shots.

I'll go first with some suggestions - in no particular order.

- The Searchers - last shot John Wayne walking away in door frame.

- Wizard of Oz - Dorothy walks from B & W into color.

- Sunset Boulevard - William Holden Floating dead in pool from underneath (the one they used the mirror for)

- Psycho - Optical zoom out of Janet Leighs eye at end of shower scene

- Goodfellas - The steadicam shot

- Lawrence of Arabia - Mirage telephoto of Omar Shariff riding towards camera

- The Graduate - Under Mrs. Robinson's bent leg of Dustin Hoffman

- Touch of Evil - Opening crane shot

etc., etc. what do you think?

• Premium Member
Well I hope they're not going to limit themselves again to American (and English) movies as most of these lists tend to do.

Well, it would seem that they would if it was AFI. But it would be interesting to see something that spanned the globe as well.

• 2 weeks later...

i think in Lawrence of Arabia when Lawrence goes back to save the man who fell off his camel and when he has saved him the peasant boy sees them and the ONE SHOT where it's SUPER wide and Lawrence on the camel with the guy is going one way and the kid on the camel is going towards him.

OR, the second shot in the cut right after he blows out the match and it's SUPER orange.

• Premium Member

There's a montage that someone cut together for the Academy Awards in the 90's featuring the most memorable shots in American film history. I saw a print of it a few years ago at the Rafael Theatre in San Rafael. It was great because I've only seen most of these films on DVD. Can't remember the name of it, though.

• Premium Member
Mr Mullen, you are 100% correct. You wouldnt say the Lawrence of Arabia shot right after he blows out the match is memorable? The insane orange sunrise contrast to the black ground.

Well, the sunrise shot is pretty of course, but it's the CUT from the ECU of the match that make it memorable (and the music cue). It's like the cut from the falling bone in "2001" to the spaceship. The two shots on either side are interesting but it's the editing that makes them memorable.

So you're talking about the greatest edits in movie history more than the greatest shots. I can't say that the sunrise alone in "Lawrence of Arabia" is one of the greatest shots in history -- "Days of Heaven" probably has some better sunrise/sunset shots. The montage of five sunsets & then a sunrise that symbolically begins "2001" (Man was created on the Sixth Day) was also a nice series of shots, although they were actually 8x10 stills I think.

- Psycho - Optical zoom out of Janet Leighs eye at end of shower scene

That shot is memorable from Psycho, yes, but it's an optical zoom...which for me, perhaps, doesn't exactly make it too impressive. For me, if I'm going to pick a shot from Psycho, it's got to be Norman standing out by the swamp and slowly turning his head towards us....creeeeepy

A few more of my favs, concentrating on single shots, not necessarily huge dramatic/climactic moments:

"Brazil" - Dolly out from Jonathan Price in the interrogation chair.

"Blood Simple" - Bullet holes, nothing more

"E.T." - The change from night to day when Greg is asleep in E.T.'s closet. He wakes up, sees the flowers dying and starts screaming.

"Glory" - A shot from high up of the black regiment marching onto the beach towards the end, with the flags whisping past the camera.

"Edward Scissorhands" - Winona Ryder dancing in the snowflakes from Edward's shaving of his giant ice sculpture.

"The Matrix" - Morpheus breaks free from interrogation and runs to jump into the helicopter, the closeup on his foot as it gets shot.

"Paths of Glory" - Long dolly shot in front of Kirk Douglas walking through the trenches.

I could go on forever...but I'll stop now.

Hello All,

Here are some of mine:

Last shot in Hitchcock's VERTIGO. Jimmy Stewart standing on the bell tower ledge looking down on his fallen love.

Last shot in CASABLANCA. Bogart and Raines walking off into the fog.

also from SUNSET BLVD. When Norma Desmond stands up in the light of the movie projector.

the dolly in shot that introduced John Wayne in STAGECOACH.

Mike

That shot is memorable from Psycho, yes, but it's an optical zoom...which for me, perhaps, doesn't exactly make it too impressive.

You realize the context with which "optical zoom" is used here, means it's a real camera zoom, not a post effects zoom. That shot is one of the most impressive I have seen. Try holding your eyes completely still for 40 seconds without blinking and with all kinds of camera movements going on around you and you'll see what I mean.

:rolleyes:

Somebody just emailed me a list of great smart ass replies. Hope it's not too late to add that one.

Oh, one great recent shot that really stands out is the the slow-mo speed boat passing by in "Miami Vice." First shot in what I guess was only in the directors cut. Great shot, kind of bad movie.