Fuji Eterna 200T

A couple weeks ago I shot some film tests with Fuji's Eterna 200T 16mm stock. My idea for the shoot was to play around with PlusGreen gels and see how the film would react.

I have to say, I was actually impressed by how the shots turned out. I knew Fuji tends to bias towards the greens, even its blacks seems to have a little green in it. But if you play to the stock's strength by adding a green lighting element to your shot, I found it looked fantastic.

Not to mention I really liked the finer grain of the 200T as opposed to 500T. Just more evidence that different brands, stocks and ASA's all serve their own purpose.

I watched Fuji's demo DVD again last night and paid particular attention to the Eterna 250T and 250D film footage. I don't know whether it was my imagination or not but to me, the 250T shots tended to look slightly sharper than the 250D shots, particularly when mid shots of people were being filmed. I know this can't be right...surely my eyes must be playing tricks on me. For one thing, a daylight film should be finer grained than a tungsten film of the same speed theoretically, according to John Pytlak. Though I would assume that sharpness would be the same.

By the way, I was looking at that short film called 'Return of the Shadow' on the demo DVD. It was the segment showing a news reporter outdoors by the entrance of a grand building talking to a news camera man that I was scrutinizing. None of the shots in that particular segment looked impressively sharp too me. Unless some other factor was affecting sharpness. However, closeups tended to appear 'sharper' naturally.