Canon 814XL-S for sale

Jay_Austin

• Premium Member
UPDATE

Camera went to Precision Camera in Austin. Everything was serviced and checked out ok.

All levels are working, and motor seems to be very quiet.

Years ago there was a Precision Camera in Los Angeles. I doubt there is any connection. I never heard of this shop before, kind of a surprise because Super-8 repair places are so few and far between, do they offer any other goods or services for the Super-8 filmmaker?

They actually do not carry any 8 gear, other than the fact that they did sell film!

They did however have no problem servicing my camera. I have dealt with them for many years for repair/purchase for still cameras, this is my first dealing with video. I did however note the large case of HD video devices in front of the service desk.

Check them out:

http://www.precision-camera.com/

Well, as it seem absolutely MINT I'll give it a right good think. :D

Cool. Just let me know. I have another guy here in Austin who is going to stop by house tomorrow to have a look.

Oh, and BTW, the microphone boom is included with that price if that was not clear.

Thanks again

They don't make sound film anymore so the mic will not be important at all to anyone interested in it.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

Well, it's included regardless. Whether you have some "pre-ban" film(and a can process it yourself), or for nostalgia sake, or if you need a good mic for another camera. :D

It's got a 3.5mm jack so it's pretty versatile!

FYI, I haven't posted it anyplace yet but, I bought a 1014 XLS in ragged shape but it came with 8 rolls of unopened K40 sound film. It was probably not stored correctly but if anyone wants a go at it I am willing to let it go reasonably. I know this is not the right forum for this but it seems appropriate considering the mention of sound film.

Just FYI. E-mail me direct if you are interested in it for any reason. Don't want to shift the tack of this thread away from it's original intentions.

I think $500 is reasonable for the 814 XLS as I just bought one a while back for about $300 (with the WA adapter) and had to send it off to Bernie to get cleaned up. Total cost for mine, about $500.

Sean

Sean(at)DeepBlueEdit.com

Edited by Sean McHenry

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, if you're looking for old Super8 Cameras, your cheapest place will be a Flea Market or used goods Store. Six years ago I bought a Sankyo Super CM400 Camera in absolutely fantastic condition for only $40 Canadian Dollars. I bought a cheaper model Argus in 2000 for only $25 Dollars, and an Editor for $25. I bought a perfectly good Projector for only $30. The Internet is not the cheapest place to buy goods!

Edited by Terry Mester

• Premium Member
Guys, if you're looking for old Super8 Cameras, your cheapest place will be a Flea Market or used goods Store......

Do you realize that statement is a non-sequiter? "A" does not equal "B" even though you are implying that it does.

Cool. Just let me know. I have another guy here in Austin who is going to stop by house tomorrow to have a look.

Oh, and BTW, the microphone boom is included with that price if that was not clear.

Thanks again

Whenever someone says, "by the way, someone else is coming to look at the camera tommorrow...." it can easily be viewed as a sales gimmick, especially if you then don't follow up and say what happened regarding the mystery buyer.

I think $500 is reasonable for the 814 XLS as I just bought one a while back for about $300 (with the WA adapter) and had to send it off to Bernie to get cleaned up. Total cost for mine, about $500.

Sean

Sean(at)DeepBlueEdit.com

Word. I wish more Super-8 filmmakers spoke and acted like you did. Although if one buys it for five hundred AND sends it off to Bernie then that might be a bit too much. Perhaps the seller would be willing to

split the service charge if the buyer decides to send the camera to Bernie for a "tune-up", with an upfront maximum the seller would be willing to go.

Do you realize that statement is a non-sequiter? "A" does not equal "B" even though you are implying that it does.

Whenever someone says, "by the way, someone else is coming to look at the camera tommorrow...." it can easily be viewed as a sales gimmick, especially if you then don't follow up and say what happened regarding the mystery buyer.

Word. I wish more Super-8 filmmakers spoke and acted like you did. Although if one buys it for five hundred AND sends it off to Bernie then that might be a bit too much. Perhaps the seller would be willing to

split the service charge if the buyer decides to send the camera to Bernie for a "tune-up", with an upfront maximum the seller would be willing to go.

Okay guys, fair enough. The camera was viewed by a potential buyer and he was impressed, but did not buy. Said that he would contact me again and hasn't yet.

The camera has had a full maintenance and I have the report that I am willing to share. It's still for sale and in the Austin area. You guys can check it out, run the motors, hold it in your hands....whatever.

Thanks for the interest.

• Premium Member
Okay guys, fair enough. The camera was viewed by a potential buyer and he was impressed, but did not buy. Said that he would contact me again and hasn't yet.

The camera has had a full maintenance and I have the report that I am willing to share. It's still for sale and in the Austin area. You guys can check it out, run the motors, hold it in your hands....whatever.

Thanks for the interest.

I slightly chided you just because others may be thinking it but not saying it. I believe you when you say someone was coming to look at the camera, but a good method is to always follow up, otherwise people may assume it was a hustle even when it is not.

The non sequiter comment was not directed towards you in the least, yet the way you combined my three quotes in your response makes it look like I'm slamming you. I suppose you just hit the reply button at it just formatted the quote that way, but it sure changes the meaning way too much.

I slightly chided you just because others may be thinking it but not saying it. I believe you when you say someone was coming to look at the camera, but a good method is to always follow up, otherwise people may assume it was a hustle even when it is not.

The non sequiter comment was not directed towards you in the least, yet the way you combined my three quotes in your response makes it look like I'm slamming you. I suppose you just hit the reply button at it just formatted the quote that way, but it sure changes the meaning way too much.

No harm no foul. I didnt mean any disrespect. I am just backing up the fact that I have a nice camera for sale with no hidden agenda. If you are interested, I will disclose all info, and have nothing to hide. I will once again state that I am in NO HURRY to sell this camera.

:blink:

I am a visitor here and do appreciate the format to make these goods available to someone who can appreciate it more than I can. I do not claim to have any advanced knowledge in film or cameras.

Thanks!

Let me know if I can provide anything further!

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
FYI, I haven't posted it anyplace yet but, I bought a 1014 XLS in ragged shape but it came with 8 rolls of unopened K40 sound film. It was probably not stored correctly but if anyone wants a go at it I am willing to let it go reasonably. I know this is not the right forum for this but it seems appropriate considering the mention of sound film.

Hi Sean,

Call Dwayne's Photo Service to see if they're able to develop the Sound Version of Kodachrome S8/16 which is a different process from the Silent Version. If they can't, Call or Fax Horiuchi in Japan. They may not want to do one Cartridge at a time, but 5 or more Carts together may be worth their while. If they can't do the sound process, the film can still be developed using the regular Kodachrome process, but the Sound Tape will probably get ruined. As for the film itself, unexposed Kodachrome should stay good for decades.

Dwayne's Photo Service

415 S. 32nd Street

Parsons, KS 67357

(620) 421-3940

Toll Free: 1-800-522-3940

JAPAN

Horiuchi Color Lab, Co, Ltd.

1-6-7, Wada Suginami-Ku

Tokyo 166

JP

Ph. (81) 03-03383-3321

Fax: (81) 03-3382-7493