The Camera Assistant's Manual

I just picked up The Camera Assistant's Manual by David E. Elkins, SOC 3rd edition because I felt I needed to learn more about some of the aspects of the photographic department I was unsure and/or unaware of including paperwork and proper proceedures for various elements of the filming process. I haven't started reading it yet but after a quick scan, I CAN say the book seems to be loaded with information. Has anyone ever read this book and if so did you find it useful also are there other books or video out there that would be useful to the camera crew? B)

I read it cover-to-cover while I was in high school instead of attending classes for a few days. Excellent resource, lots of information, all of it useful.

That book and "The Professional Cameraman's Handbook" are what I use; between the two I think they cover most aspects of the camera department very well. Both have helped me out big time with 2nd AC stuff; "CA Manual" with the paperwork, reports, and specific function, and "Professional Cameraman" is great because it's got descriptions of how to load every camera you could think of.

It really is a great book. If you know it cover to cover you can easily work as an AC in the industry.

My only complaint about it is that it's not particularly well written or organized logically. It tends to jump around a lot...sometimes at mid explanation of some principles.

But besides that, it's extremely useful!

Hi,

The Camera Assistant: A Complete Professional Handbook by Doug Hart

This is is very comprehensive as well and if I m rightly written quite systematicly. Between the two books you should pretty much learn all the stuff you need.

And then all you need is to learn Zen focus-pulling!...Like all the best 1st ACs - They always seem to stay sharp no matter what the lens or stop!

;)

http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Assistant-Com...TF8&s=books

This is the Bible of the AC. It covers everything you need to know to become a good AC, then of course it's up to you to go on set and apply that knowledge to real life situations.

Elkins' book is pretty good, but it's not as detailed or specific as Hart's. If you have some experience as a camera assistant, you can skip Elkins'. If you don't know anything about it, then Hart's book could be a little too much.

Hi,

This is is very comprehensive as well and if I m rightly written quite systematicly. Between the two books you should pretty much learn all the stuff you need.

And then all you need is to learn Zen focus-pulling!...Like all the best 1st ACs - They always seem to stay sharp no matter what the lens or stop!

;)

http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Assistant-Com...TF8&s=books

Well, speaking of the Zen of focus pulling: www.amazon.com/Optics-Focus-Camera-Assistants-Science/dp/0240802004/sr=1-7/qid=1166842442/ref=sr_1_7/103-1541763-3953461?ie=UTF8&s=books

B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
That book and "The Professional Cameraman's Handbook" are what I use

I wholeheartedly second that. Those two books are the only assisting books I ever needed. I still carry them in my Larry bag for reference, and to lend to interns and hopefuls.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This book is my Bible, it's been in my kit for years, and I've lost more copies than I can remember, but I say that as a biased person. David Elkins is a great friend, teacher, and mentor of mine. Also, I've written material that is being included in the 4th Edition.

If you have this, the Camera Assistant's Handbook, and the ASC Manual in your AC kit you'll have the answers to 99.9% of any technical question you can imagine.

• 3 years later...