Garrett Brown and Birth

Angeliki Makraki

• 3 weeks later...
Why can't it be all three? And how do you know that the screenwriters didn't think up that opening?

It could be all three, and that would be nice, but what I liked is the camera movement following the runner.

Probably it was one persons idea. Wondering who. Maybe whoever is resposible could answer us here.

Edited by Angeliki Makraki

Guest Stephen Murphy
It could be all three, and that would be nice, but what I liked is the camera movement following the runner.

Probably it was one persons idea. Wondering who. Maybe whoever is resposible could answer us here.

Harris Savides told me that it was originaly planned as a cablecam/wire rig but had to be changed at the last minute due to location rigging/permission issues. So it sounds like the idea of the shot was already in place and GB came on board to solve a logistical problem. That shot blew me away when i first saw it.

Harris Savides told me that it was originaly planned as a cablecam/wire rig but had to be changed at the last minute due to location rigging/permission issues. So it sounds like the idea of the shot was already in place and GB came on board to solve a logistical problem. That shot blew me away when i first saw it.

I would guess that it was Harris Savides composition and lighting and Jonathan Glazer camera movement.

I must be missing something ,havent seen the film , but watched clip on here , it just looks like a shot from a camera car to me , not steadicam . John Holland.

If a cam op is rigged with a steadicam, and stands at the top of a crane attached to a camera car...is it a "steadicam shot".

I doubt that's how this shot was achieved, definitely a camera car with crane shot...I don't think Brown is that tall.

Wonderfully executed though, it sticks to the ol' adage "Keep it simple, stupid". The music makes the shot too. :)

Guest Stephen Murphy
Yes i do understand that , just seems a great waste of Mr Browns talents , thats all . John Holland.

On the contrary John its an exceptionaly difficult shot to achieve with a steadicam because its not supposed to look like a steadicam shot - watch the horizon line - its as close to perfect as you'll get with a steadicam. The crosshairs rarely drift from the actor - thats not as easy as it seems either. Add to that the difficult terrain, which make it hard for the operator to stay balanced regardless of what vehicle/crane he is standing/seating on, and hence harder to hold the Kubrickian frame throughout, never mind dealing with whatever wind was there on the day. And avoiding the tunnel at the end of the shot while getting the camera as close to its roof as possible takes balls of steel:) Its a hard shot to pull off because its a subtle steadicam shot, and it takes a great steadicam op to achieve that. I doubt most people on this forum knew it was a steadicam shot untill told - which i think is a fantastic comment on the tools vesatility in the right hands.

- jonathan

If a cam op is rigged with a steadicam, and stands at the top of a crane attached to a camera car...is it a "steadicam shot".

Yes it is, Hard or soft mounting to vehicles is a great way to achieve otherwise impossible or difficult shots.

I doubt that's how this shot was achieved, definitely a camera car with crane shot...I don't think Brown is that tall.

Im positive thats how the shot was achieved because the DP told me so! And youd be surprised how tall GB is:)

• Premium Member
Brad,

This website is amazing! Thanks for linking it.

No problem. a guy named Afton Grant started it and runs it. Anyone that has suggesstions can add a shot to the database. Hopefully it will continue to grow.

Yes i do understand that , just seems a great waste of Mr Browns talents , thats all . John Holland.

I don't think it's a waste of his talents at all. This is a very tricky shot to pull off.

As others have already stated, it's not as easy as it looks. The shot is very Kubrick-esque in its simplicity. Many of Kubrick's (and often Garrett's) shots appeared simple at first glance. Perhaps from a technical and operational standpoint, someof them were, some of them weren't, but from the standpoint of the story, they were quite complex. The story should always come first.

Something SteadiShots does not offer, unfortunately, is the rest of the movie. This is something Garrett will tell you himself. To really appreciate any single shot, you need to see it in the context of the rest of the story. Yes, we can observe, enjoy and critique the operating itself. The important questions are WHY was this shot done the way it was done? HOW does it relate to the other shots preceding and following? This is why I encourage the visitors to my site to view the movies in their entirety if they wish to understand fully.

Best Regards,

Afton

I cant operate a Steadicam ,i have tried just not built for it , i didnt say this was an easy shot to pull off ,just dont think it is a very interesting one no matter how it was shot , i add again havent seen the film only this clip on here . John Holland. London.