Black & White Reversal

Paulo Mauro

I forgot to ask :

Do you guys know any way that I could buy, for example, 1200 feet of film and roll it on 100 feet spools? Is that something that people do? Can I do in the bathroom with a green light? Do I have to buy any equipment to roll the film?

Paulo

• Premium Member

People have been known to spool film down from larger loads. It's even been discussed here. It is a bit of a pain in the ass.

Get a pair of rewinds (they pop up on eBay alot). Go in to a dark room and simply spool it down into 100' loads.

The problem arises with your ability to judge what is exactly 100' but the flanges on the daylight spools might give you a reference.

Another problem arises with the loading of the daylight spools. When you get a fresh new 100' spool from Kodak the film is wound in an alternating mannor to prevent light from penetrating too far down between the flanges. If you're going to load you home-wound 100' spools I'd recommend doing it in the dark..

Search the archives for more specifics.

- nathan

I have spooled a far bit of film, and you will not save any money buying film in bulk and spooling it your self. But it opens the door to other stocks like printer stocks. And bulk 35mm still film. You can find cheep b&w printer stocks to shoot on and other sound stocks like 16-8 iso. eg3372 only sold in 2000ft. there are lots of web sites that will tell you how to hand process these stocks in your bathroom.

Other wise most camera stocks are sold in 100ft daylight spools so you would not gain anything in the long run.

• Premium Member

I doubt it it is worth it.

I have my laundry done. Not because I am lazy, but because time is money and when I do a bit of cost analysis the time I spend NOT doing my laundry is worth more to me than the 20 bucks or so I pay the nice Korean establishment down the street to do it. They also do it better than I would have. Hell, I'm also contributing to the economy!

Spooling film just sounds like a big time drain unless you're getting it for free or you're getting a special order stock that only comes in large rolls. By just getting it from Kodak you have much more confidence that it's been spooled correctly, and that you didn't botch something up in the process.

The time and effort spent spooling the rawstock down could be invested in preproduction, fund raising, spending time with your kids....

• Premium Member
Can I do in the bathroom with a green light?

Camera stocks should always be handled in TOTAL DARKNESS (no "safelights"). All color stocks and panchromatic B&W camera films are sensitive to a broad spectrum of light, so any visible light is likely to fog the film.

Darkroom illumination ("safelights") can be used with the lab films, which may have only blue or orthochromatic sensitivities, or have a "notch" in their spectral sensitivities that is fairly insensitive to certain wavelengths:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...on/page01.blind

• Premium Member

200' core? or 200' Daylight load (a-minima style or metal flanged style?)?

I'm not familiar with the Bolex 400' mags, but a core wouldn't be a problem... a flanged daylight spool may or may not fit and if it does it might generate more noise. An a-minima spool will not fit.

- nathan