Minolta Autopak K11 Super8

Jonathan Bowerbank

Hey everyone,

A local photo shop is going out of business and is basically trying to get rid of all their stuff. They have a Minolta Autopak 8 K11 for $60. They said the only thing wrong with it is the battery is drained.

I can't seem to find any details about its battery. Anybody know if it's replaceable or rechargeable or what.

Also, is this a good camera to use? It doesn't have manual exposure (except for the over/under option) which is my only issue, but for so cheap is it worth it?!

thanks in advance for your input!

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

Both the retailer and myself were at a loss...couldn't find the battery portion to save our lives.

Anyone know? Is it in the handle? We tried unscrewing it, but it uh...it wouldn't unscrew.

Here's a link to an already ended eBay listing of this camera: http://cgi.ebay.com/FILM-TESTED-MINOLTA-K1...4QQcmdZViewItem

If you know where it is, please tell me! Ha ha

I'm so inexperienced with Super8 cams...mainly work in 16mm, so I'm a lil' lost :)

Yeah, the handle comes off, but if there's a battery pack in there it seems like they've made it hard to get to as the bottom portion of the handle doesn't screw off. And, the store won't let me play with it too much without buying it beforehand.

It's manual exposure capabilities are limited. It sets for whatever ASA you're shooting, then gives you the option of shooting normal, -1, or +1 or +2

If anyone KNOWS about the battery issue, please lemme know...if I can get that info and it's still there in a couple days, maybe I'll still consider it.

thanks again everyone :)

Hi

The camera takes 4 AAs in the grip. The bottom ring unscrews to replace them. If it doesn't unscrew, it means there is batteries in it, and they leaked to seal the threads. Remove the grip by turning upper ring counterclockwise, which unscrews independently of the grip, and set the bottom 1" of the grip into a glass of Coke for a few minutes. This should loosen it up.

Personally I don't think its a good camera and for $60 you can find something better. The lack of complete manual exposure control will drive you crazy. And it sounds like the batteries corroded in the compartment if you can't get the compartment open. Keep looking.

Rick

Mischief managed...I'm not gettin' it.

Went back to the shop but my instincts told me NO

Besides, I have access to a Canon 814. The Minolta would have just been an unnecessary expense.

cheers

Jon

Use the 814. They are good cameras, whether it's the older Auto Zoom or the later-model "E" version.

Rick

• Premium Member
Hi

The camera takes 4 AAs in the grip. The bottom ring unscrews to replace them. If it doesn't unscrew, it means there is batteries in it, and they leaked to seal the threads. Remove the grip by turning upper ring counterclockwise, which unscrews independently of the grip, and set the bottom 1" of the grip into a glass of Coke for a few minutes. This should loosen it up.

I'd take a printout of this topic discussion and bring it with you to the store so they can see in writing the part about the coke. :D