Nizo S56, Chinon 877, Canon 814

Kirk Anderson

I'm looking to shoot a short film for my cinematography independent study at san francisco state university. I wanted to shoot on super 8. I've primarily used a Gaf st/111 anscomatic, but want to step it up a notch on lens quality as well as more consistant speed for faux sync sound. I was planning on buying an 814 but haven't been too lucky on ebay and only wanted to spend $250-$300. I've done lots of research on the super 8 forum trying to find the quality diference between a Nizo and a Canon. In most posts people said, "well these two cameras are just on completely different levels".

what makes these cameras on different levels?

I don't believe either one comes with a crystal motor stock, so is one or the other more consistant at 24 fps?

Is the lens on the canon far superior and faster?

If these three cameras don't sound like the best choice, what would you recomend for price $250-$300?

I know the chinon 877 is probably the lowest level of the three but it's readily available for me and seems pretty nice on super8wiki.com

chinon:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Chinon_877_Macro

Nizo:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Nizo_S_56

I posted the two specs for people to take a look, any comments would be great.

Are there any Nizo/Braun fanatics out there that would prefer these cams to a canon? If so, why?

also with the chinon, are there any diehards out there?

just looking for pros and cons.

I really like the nikon, i forgot about those, i'll keep my eye out for one of those too.

Do the Nikon R8/R10 have fast lenses, and how quiet are they?

I'm sorry to spam in someone elses thread, I just need a replacement for my Sankyo CME 1100, it's a good camera, but it's noisy and the lens is 1:1:8.

If you want to buy it, Kirk, you can, I believe it works. The price is £75.00.

Are there any Nizo/Braun fanatics out there that would prefer these cams to a canon? If so, why?

also with the chinon, are there any diehards out there?

just looking for pros and cons.

I really like the nikon, i forgot about those, i'll keep my eye out for one of those too.

If it was a choice between those three or four cameras I would chose the Canon 814: the 814 autozoom is often available on ebay for less than $100, the 814 XL-S and Nikons (R8 and R10) are often above $250. The 814 Autozoom (or autozoom electronic) is a very nice camera ? a big step up from your Gaf ? and would leave you with more money for film, processing and telecine.

Having said that I was thinking about getting a Nizo myself (and I already have a Beaulieu 4008 and a Canon 1014XL-S) but the ones to look for are the S481 Macro, S561 Macro, S801 Macro, Nizo Pro, and the 40XX and 60XX. Most of these can be bought comparatively cheaply on ebay.de if you can find a seller who ships worldwide.

I have several Canons and I can say the 814 AutoZoom does sound like a small sewing machine. I would recommend it as well, if you can cover the noise. For the price and hearty-ness of the 814 AZ, it's a great camera. Mine is a tank.

There are articles on making a "Barney" and other sound proofing for louder cameras. Other options are to shoot through a hole in a piece of foamcore and other ideas. If you won't be shooting physically close shots and close mic the actors, you could get away with it but it will take some work.

The XL-S series is much quieter. Without turning this into a sales pitch, I just happened to have a 1014 XL-S that has some possibly correctable lens issues I would let go really cheap. If you might be interested e-mail me off the list. I only mention it as it isn't doing me any good right now and I would rather someone put some time/money into it and get it shooting. Mechanically it seems sound.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com

Sean(at)DeepBlueEdit.com